1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sprint Cup driver - failed drug test?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 9, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

According to the ever-reliable Facebook updates (and this one is from someone in our business and on our board), AP reports a Sprint Cup driver failed a drug test. News conference soon.
    Anybody see anything, know anything in advance of that?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Press conference at 6. I've heard two names, but not confident posting them here.

Neither are top-line guys.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Do you know if it's gonna be carried live by ESPN or SPEED TV?

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Speedvision [/oldschool], I would think; they have the satellite clearance at that time.

5. imjustagirl

Oh, for the days when I had Speed as part of my cable package.

6. AP story says the driver failed last week at RIR but isn't racing tonight. That leaves four names: John Andretti, Scott Speed, Jeremy Mayfield and Mike Bliss. That's just running down the two lineups with a pen and paper, though. Not speculation, of course, I was just was curious on that point.

Edit: Andretti at Indy qualifying; and apparently Speed is in for Nemecheck.

Or so says the facebook thread forming in the minutes before it all becomes moot.

7. imjustagirl

My facebook post was right!

http://www.thatsracin.com/140/story/8783.html

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Speed Channel really screwed the pooch just now.

NASCAR.com says two crewmen as well.<blockquote> Suspended along with Mayfield were Tony Martin, a crewman on the No. 34 Sprint Cup team of driver Tony Raines, and Ben Williams, a crew member with the No. 16 Nationwide Series team of Roush Fenway Racing, which won Friday night's event with driver Matt Kenseth.

Hunter would not specify what substances were taken, but did say the violations were for more than merely alcohol use. The violations were found as a result of testing last week at Richmond.</blockquote>http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/05/09/jmayfield.violates.drug.policy/index.html

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So by not telling the substance, they leave it open for guessing. That's stupid.

If they were smoking a joint at the RV, tell us. If it was PEDs, tell us.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

It's obviously steroids. They're all bulking up for the big race now.[/bluefont]

11. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

In all seriousness, I can see why a crewman would use PEDs.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Well obviously. But a driver, especially one that hasn't done much in a while?

Draft saved Draft deleted