1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen's latest tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigbadeagle, Aug 15, 2008.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

super set lost. and having seen the two giants stadium shows in which "thunder road" was not done, i certainly have a heavy case of encore envy.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Yes, and it was fantastic. There were hundreds of signs with requests on them. Bruce collected a bunch and asked Steve to pick one (he ended up picking 4, I think -- the others that I can remember are Sunny Day, Darlington County and Reason to Believe). The sign for Boom Boom was written with a marker on the cardboard of a case of soda or beer. Bruce referred to it as "hastily assembled" or something like that (I'm delirious from lack of sleep.).

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When did this whole "request via sign" thing start? I never saw any of that at the Toronto show in October.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

During the European leg of the tour in the spring.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

From the setlist, looks like it was a fun, sing-a-long type of a show. It also includes 3 of my 4 moments where the crowd sings a line (Thunder Road, Jungleland and She's the One), plus Darlington County and Working on the Highway.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

The sign thing started way before the European shows. At the Palace at Auburn Hills show last November, a 6-year-old kid held up a sign for "Ramrod," and Bruce obliged. Don't know if that was the first time someone had done that on the tour though. But it has mushroomed.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

About a half-dozen songs in (actually, usually after the opening 8-10 song rapid-fire burst most of these shows have opened with), Bruce comes down on the catwalk in front of the stage, collects 15-20 signs, carries them back up on stage and dumps them next to the drum kit. Most of the rest of the show, he'll pick them out to match the next song on his pre-concert setlist, but two or three times a night, he'll call a complete audible and go with a completely off-the-wall request.

8. Webster

He's picked requests off of signs before, but never as "formal" a process as this.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

any lucky bastards here in St. Louis last night?
    Here's what they got:
    1. THEN SHE KISSED ME
    2. Radio Nowhere
    3. Out in the Street
    4. Adam Raised a Cain
    5. Spirit In The Night
    6. Rendezvous
    7. For You (Full Band)
    8. MOUNTAIN OF LOVE
    9. Backstreets
    10.Gypsy Biker
    11.Because The Night
    12.NOT FADE AWAY/She's The One
    13.Livin' In The Future
    14.Cover Me
    15.Mary's Place
    16.Drive All Night
    17.The Rising
    18.Last To Die
    19.Long Walk Home
    20.Badlands

21. Girls in their Summer Clothes
    22.Jungleland
    23. Detroit Medley
    24. Born to Run
    25. Dancing in the Dark
    26. American Land
    27. Thunder Road
    28. LITTLE QUEENIE
    29. Twist & Shout

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

"Mountain of Love" Wow, that's an oldie.

Hall of fame encore too.

11. Webster

Was that the first Little Queenie since the bomb scare show?

The night before he did Mona into She's the One and now Not Fade Away. Awesome.

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

three words:

oh. my. gawd.

what a set list.

Draft saved Draft deleted