1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen's latest tour

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bigbadeagle, Aug 15, 2008.

1. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

OK, I've got tix tonight for Springsteen. This is my first Bruuuuuuce show, though I've been a fan for ages (hey, he sings about the swamps of Jersey, but rarely ventures anywhere near the swamps of south Georgia - until tonight).
    From those who have seen him on this latest tour, what can a neophyte Springsteen concertgoer expect, other than him not doing those 4 hour shows he was once fabled for?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

He'll do 3 hours and 15 minutes. You'll have a great time. You'll be exhausted when it's over.

Enjoy. He was great 2 weeks ago in NJ and I'm sure the band is going to end this tour on a high.

3. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What Spnited said.
    A 3-hour, 15-minute rock 'n' roll tour de force.
    Besides, those legendary 4 hour shows included an intermission. This is 3+ hours straight through, no breaks.
    If you've got a general admission ticket leave now, bring a sign requesting a song, and be prepared to stand for several hours before the show through the show.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

ditto what spnited and estreet said. in those legendary shows of the past, he'd play four hours with much more talking and the intermission to kill time.

in terms of actual song count, the recent leg of the tour has bested those shows. he's doing 26-30 songs, which is incredible for a rocker of any age -- let alone 58!!

enjoy!! :D :D :D

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And say Mazel Tov to the Big Man, who apparently got married yet again last week.

6. EStreetJoe

wedding No. 4 for the Big Man.

The question for later in this leg of the tour will he keep up the 28-30 song stadium sets he's been playing or will he revert back to a 24-song arena set?

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Actually, as you noted, the summer shows have been longer (by about 4-5 songs and about 30-40 minutes) than the winter/spring arena shows earlier this year. One of the shows I went to in the spring was 2:20, the shortest Bruce concert I think I've ever seen; a couple of the stadium shows have gone past 3:30.

Incidentally, from multiple online sources, the longest Springsteen show ever, 12/31/1980 at Nassau Coliseum, clocked in at 38 songs, 4:00 playing time (with a 20-minute intermission). The legends of 4 1/2-5 hour shows are myths.

Another note, the unusually short show I saw this spring was St. Patrick's Day in Milwaukee; the next show, at Indianapolis, featured the last performance by Danny Federici, and was normal length (2:45+). I haven't heard any details, but I can't help but suspect there might have been some connection.

8. Webster

I believe that the longest show that I attended was the July 1, 2000 MSG show, which was around 3.5 hours

9. EStreetJoe

based on the bruce sites only 26 songs tonight, but what a setlist they got in Jax..

1. Out In The Street
    2. Radio Nowhere
    3. No Surrender
    4. Lonesome Day
    5. Spirit In The Night
    6. You Can't Sit Down
    7. Does This Bus Stop at 82nd St.
    8. Candy's Room
    9. Loose Ends
    10. Youngstown
    11. Murder Inc.
    12. She's The One
    13. Living In The Future
    14. Mary's Place
    15. Back in Your Arms
    16. The Rising
    17. Last To Die
    18. Long Walk Home
    19. Badlands

20. Tenth Ave Freezeout
    21. Waitin' On A Sunny Day
    22. Born To Run
    23. Rosalita (Come Out Tonite)
    24. Glory Days
    25. American Land

26. Kitty's Back

10. lono

lono Active Member

He may not be a kid anymore, but he still has Mad Skillz to burn.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

So what once was the Magic tour now includes 4 songs from the Magic album out of 26.

12. Webster

You Can't Sit Down? Wow.

I love Back In Your Arms. A great setlist.

Draft saved Draft deleted