1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I don't see the casual fan getting excited about Bruce singing "Erie Canal" -- for the most part, people go to concerts to hear what they already know. But that's a shame, because this is a really excellent and fun show, probably the most fun that I've had at a Bruce concert (along with the Asbury Xmas shows). You also have an appreciation for how good of a singer and bandleader Bruce really is.

Bruce got in a bit of a rut with the E Street Band by the end of The Rising tour and it has been smart to do these other type of shows.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I'm going to see this show in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait. I agreed to go with a group of friends who I'd seen Springsteen with before, without ever having heard any of the new album. When I finally got around to buying it, I couldn't believe how much I liked it. I think it's going to be a really fun show, and while I understand that casual Bruce fans (maybe even the hardcore ones, too) might be skipping this one, I'm glad because it will just mean more dancing room for my friends and me.

3. Webster

This is a really good time to be a Bruce fan. He's got enough money to do want he wants as does the band. He realizes that his time as a relevant artist is limited, so he's opening up the possibilities a bit and is experimenting. He also is a little more accessible and has been savvy about using the web and TV appearances.

Importantly, he also is still at the top of his game (which can't be said for a number of members of the ESB).

4. Webster

Bumping this because PBS has been showing on Great Perfomances an hour long performance which Bruce and the SSB did for UK television.

5. Webster

Bringing back a long dormant thread. Got the "Live in Dublin" DVD as a Father's Day present. A great show by a band which was way tighter than the earlier parts of the tour that I had previously seen. Awesome crowd as well.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't had a chance to watch the DVD yet, just listened to both discs of "Live in Dublin" and its a great show. The live versions of the Seeger Sessions songs blow away the studio versions and the reworkings of his older material are great as well.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Awesome versions of "Open All Night" and "Blinded By the Light" on there. I probably replayed "Pay Me My Money Down" five times the other day.

8. wonderful stuff, yep

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Go the CDs. Great stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted