1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I was a big Bruce fan but have had little interest in his career for many years now. Of course he can do what he wants. When you've been as successful as he has the record company works for you, not the other way around.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself - there is always a business angle behind everything Bruce does. Jon Landau would not have it any other way.

As far as Nam we've been down that road before Fenian - JFK and LBJ are villians there- Nixon layed the groundwork to get us out. You are just not wired to throw any criticism the way of your liberal heroes.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Don't kid yourself - there is always a business angle behind everything Bruce does. Jon Landau would not have it any other way.If Bruce wanted to make cash, he never would have released Devils & Dust and certainly wouldn't have released this album.  Nor would he tour smaller venues with a 13 piece band.  He could probably make more money playing 3 shows at Giants Stadium with the ESB than he will in the next 4 months.

Bruce and Landau were beyond set in 1999.  Now, after the reunion tour, The Rising and The Rising tour, they can't think of enough ways to spend their money.  This is the "fuck it, I'm doing what I want" portion of Bruce's career. Let's just hope he doesn't release the rap influenced album he recorded during the early 90s.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

More revisionist history from Boom. Did anyone here ever say Kennedy and Johnson didn't share some of the blame for Vietnam?

Oh, and if you want to get all technical, blame the French as well.

Did Nixon's "laying the groundwork" include his bombing of Cambodia?

Boom, you're way out of your depth.  Go save some seals.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

anyone reading the likes of you and fenian would think that Nixon got us into Viet Nam.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

If you're not a Bruce fan, this is self-indulgent crap. If you are, it's a tribute to a great American songwriter and performer. I'll go with the latter.

It reminds me of a post Oscar interview I saw with Paul Haggis. After the success of Crash and Million Dollar Baby, studios will pretty much let him do whatever he wants.

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Just to make Boom, JR and the like feel really old, the first time I saw Pete Seeger was on Sesame Street. And I'm not that young.

As for Bruce, "Nebraska" was quite a departure and that turned out rather well.

I'll also spill a little secret: Country Joe and the Fish played Boom's high school prom.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

First saw Pete at the once great Mariposa Folk Festival circa 1968.

9. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I love Bruce, but I hated Devils and Dust and fully expected to hate the Seeger sessions. But I don't. To the person who posted the link to listen for free - thanks. I just might try to get tickets to a show on this tour.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've got no problem at all with bruce trying new ways to go. i love nebraska, devils and dust, tom joad, etc. i just don't need a cover album from him, that's all. my connection with springsteen's stuff is that it's HIS stuff. sorry, bruce doing seeger is an experience i'll pass on.

11. That said, I don't know why he didn't go for Woody Guthrie. His"Vigilante Man" is still his best cover, IMO.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

His cover of Deportee ain't half bad either. Hell, his cover of Harry Chapin's "Remember When the Music" is one of the best things he has ever done.

Draft saved Draft deleted