1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Shockey, I don't know why you call this "self-indulgent crap." I suppose you're one of those people who bitches if he doesn't trot out Thunder Road at every concert he plays. I'd much rather see Bruce continue to push his boundaries than make some tired tunes that sound like a replica of Born To Run coming from a 59-year-old man.

This may or may not be a good album. Unlike you, I'll reserve judgement until, you know, I've listened to it once.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Huh?
    That's a truly dumb statement.

You don't seem to have learned anything in the last 30 years.

3. Proud of booing a guy who was right?
    Nice, Boom.
    I believe that AQB's argument was that, when an artist reaches a certain level of fame/money, he can do the vanity projects he wants to do. If I'm wrong, AQB, please advise.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

How was he right - he was blasting Nixon. Nixon did not get us in the fucking war in the first place. Pete would have been loath to be critical of a democrat though. Fuck Pete - I always wanted his boa,t the Sloop that he sailed up and down the Hudson to sink.

5. can't seem to find the link just now, but there was a good feature on pete seeger in last week's New Yorker.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nixon ran in 1968, in large degree, on an extremely nebulous plan to "get us out of Vietnam" "as soon as it can be honorably done."

When he was flushed out of office six years later, he still hadn't done it.

7. pallister

pallister Guest

Pretty much every thread on here is ruined by the political bitching and moaning and the "I know better than you" pissing contests. Keep that shit to the political threads. 99 percent of the people on here are gonna argue the same points and do the same name-calling every time, so we're not breaking any new ground. Give it a fuckin' rest.

Now, as for Springsteen, never been a huge fan, although I understand his place in music history. I haven't heard the music yet, but you can't fault an artist for doing what he wants. The whole artistic ideal is "Fuck this, I'm gonna do what I wanna do." If a person's in the position to pull that off, more power to 'em.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Setlist from the first warm-up show (copied from Backstreets.com):

Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep/John Henry/Johnny 99/Old Dan Tucker/Eyes on the Prize/Jesse James/Adam Raised a Cain/Erie Canal/My Oklahoma Home/Devils & Dust/Mrs. McGrath/How Can a Poor Man Stand Such Times and Live?/Jacob's Ladder/We Shall Overcome/Open All Night/Pay Me My Money Down

Encore: My City of Ruins/Buffalo Gals/You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch)/When the Saints Go Marching In

I think that the Open All Night/Pay Me My Money Down combo will be worth the price of admission.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just the same many feel that way when they go to hear Pete Seeger or Bruce Springsteen sing and they start making political statements.

If you have no problem with Bruce singing what he wants than in same vain you should have no problem with posters writing what they want. "Fuck this I'm gonna post what I want".

10. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Complaining about Pete Seeger being "political" is pretty much saying the same thing about Guthrie and Dylan. You ... ah, never mind.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's OK. Boom doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about.

12. As is evidenced by th fact he doesn't know that Seegar's political activism was just as strong under JFK and LBJ as it was under Nixon -- who, it should be noted, treasonously mucked around with the Paris Peace Talks while a candidate in 1968, prolonging the war long enough to get his crooked ass re-elected. And, oh, hell, why bother?
    Anyway, I'm not a huge fan of Bruce as folkie, but I'm intrigued by this direction.

Draft saved Draft deleted