1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bruce's new album is on line, for free, for today. I'm going to see him in Asbury Park on Tuesday night at a rehearsal show. I think that the new band will be really fun live, but this album will not sell at all.

http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/cc-common/mfeatures/brucespringsteenSP/

As an aside -- his first version of "We Shall Overcome", which previously appeared on a Seeger tribute album, always reminds me of 9/11, because the local NBC station in NY used it as an inspiration song during the weeks after the attacks.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i ADORE bruce. but have zero interest in this project. get back in the studio with the e-street gang and rock us again, please!this is self-indulgent crap.

i'll just continue to wear out my bruce dvd/video collection, thanks.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Play Freebird

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that he's realizing that he's only got a limited time left to record and got a lot less picky about what he releases. Most of the songs from Devils and Dust were at least a few years old. The first recording session for this album was 10 years ago and was only picked up again last year.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I've been a Springsteen fan for a long time but at this point he's made so much money he's in his "Fuck it, I'm gonna record what I wanna record" years.

6. I compare nobody, ever, to The Master, but I would point out that AQB's theory is how we got Blood On The Tracks, to say nothing of the great all-folk albums World Gone Wrong and Good As I Been To You.
    If that means some people don't hear "Rosalita" enough, tough.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

FB...what's AQB's theory?

Being a huge Seeger fan, this is fabulous stuff.

8. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

I can hardly wait to hear his version of "Night Moves." ;D

9. hardin moose

hardin moose Member

How can he do a Seeger album without "Waist Deep in the Big Muddy?" Especially these days.

10. Boom_70

Pete Seeger came to my HS in the early 70's to talk about the Hudson river then got into a whole anti viet nam war diatribe - He was booed of the stage by a small group. I am proud to say I was part of that group.

You can't say I havent been consistant ;) I never really cottened up to the "protest" types.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Given that Vietnam was an unmitigated disaster, not something you should be proud of.

12. Boom_70

Partly because of people like Seeger

Draft saved Draft deleted