1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- Darkness Box Set

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Aug 26, 2010.

1. AD

AD Active Member

drive all night and racing are perfect.

backstreets? point blank? not for me. as much as i love him, the guy has had plenty of misses.

but here i'd like to suggest a poll:

best bruce album ever. darkness is it for me. always has been: rougher than the rest, perfectly written, almost no false notes.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Best albums:

1) WIESS
    2) BTR
    3) Tunnel of Love
    4) Darkness

3. Ah, the responses to this post should ensure this thread a good nine months atop the "Anything Goes" page.

I honestly have tried and just can't rank Greetings, The Wild..., Born to Run, Darkness, The River or Born in the USA ahead of one another. Nebraska would be after those on a level with TGOTJ. Then there's everything else. I won't count Live 1975-1985 because that would be cheating on a best-of list of albums.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Pop/Rock Division

1. The River
    2. Darkness on the Edge of Town
    3. Born to Run
    4. The Rising
    5. BITUSA
    6. Tunnel of Love
    7. WIESS
    8. WOAD
    9. Lucky Town
    10. Magic
    11. Greetings
    12. Human Touch

Acoustic/Folk Division
    1. Nebraska
    2. TGOTJ
    3. Devils and Dust
    4. Seeger Sessions

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Man, the things I miss by not getting on here for a couple of days....

Racing is a Top 5-10 song for me in the Springsteen catalog. Musically and lyrically it is nearly perfect.
    Drive All Night and Stolen Car are songs I've grown to appreciate more and more as I get older.
    Point Blank has never done it for me, then again neither has Adam Raised a Cain.

My Top 5 Bruce discs:
    1. Wild & Innocent
    2. BTR
    3. Darkness
    4. Lucky Town
    5. The River
    (I'll try ranking 'em all later when I have more time)

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

good to have rucyou voice of reason on bruce back here, joe. we agree on soooo many things... you're obviously very bright.

and "adam raised a cain" is probably my least fave popular songs by bruce. a go-to-the-bathroom/time-to-fetch-a-beer song. absolutely.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Adam Raised a Cain resonates with me for the same reason that Independence Day does. Great capture of a challenging parent/child relationship.

Backstreets, Racing in the Street and Drive All Night are each in my top 10 songs; Racing and Backstreets are my top two.

As for albums, I've been listening to a lot of Magic and Tunnel of Love lately. A month ago, it was Darkness and the River. Favorites change with the mood, I even give Working on a Dream a spin every now and then.

Whenever I listen to the River, I want to whack a third of it in favor of some of its outtakes. Two Hearts becomes Roulette, Crush on You becomes Restless Nights . . . You Can Look (But You Better Not Touch) is replaced by Held Up Without a Gun, Stolen Car reverts to its Tracks version, I'm a Rocker is swapped out for either Living on the Edge of the World or Be True . . . that's what CD burners are for, I guess.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

With the quality of the known Darkness outtakes that are being left off the set (unless they're on there under different names) and the greatness of some River and Born in the USA outtakes that are still unofficially released, you have to hope that Tracks Vol. 2 will eventually see the light of day.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'll just do top five albums:

1. Tunnel

2. Darkness

3. Born to Run

4. WIESS

5. Magic

6. The next one (hopefully!)

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The documentary is on HBO tomorrow night. The DVR is set to don't erase

11. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

BTR
    Darkness
    WIESS
    Rising

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

My whole day tomorrow is geared around this. Luckily, I'm off. And I plan to record it old fashioned style on videotape so I can watch it over and over.

Draft saved Draft deleted