1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- Darkness Box Set

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Aug 26, 2010.

1. very cool evening. Was being shown in a concert hall, so was very comfortable. When Bruce et all arrive, they flash the "red carpet" broadcast on the big screen so you know he's coming.
    Then he, his manager and the director came out on stage, and had a brief intro -- Bruce is -- obviously -- very comfortable in front of crowds.
    The movie was fascinating -- though my one quibble is that there isn't a whole lot of vintage footage. They did a lot with a little. But great insight into his meticulousness as a writer - there's a reason they call him the Boss. I didn't realize he was that fastidious.
    He certainly controls the process, and the studio, but didn't come across as an asshole about it -- there seemed to be recognition amongst the band that they were attached to greatness and just rolled with it.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'll duck the lightning, but for some reason, I've just never taken to "Racing". The writing is excellent (he sets the scene just perfectly with the line "some guys come home from work and wash up") and "she stares off alone into the night, with the eyes of one who hates for just being born" is just fantastic. But the pace is just too lethargic and the Danny (RIP)/Roy duet at the end just sort of goes on and on for me.

3. I used to feel kind of like that about the song until I saw him play it live. I've been in love with it ever since.

4. shockey

shockey Active Member

color me stunned, web. do you also have issues with some of my other fave bruce "slow," such as "the promise," "stolen car" and "drive all night?" or is it just "racing" that doesn't do it for you? just curious...

5. Webster

I don't like "Drive All Night" and have never gotten the appeal. Like "Racing", I find the extended ending of that song turgid, but "Racing" is far superior lyrically.

The other two songs are simply outstanding and I place them in an entirely different class. I think that they are both solo piano songs where the music is almost irrelevant whereas with "Racing" and "Drive All Night", the mood of the song is defined in large part by the musical codas.

I won't put "The Promise" in the top group of Bruce songs as some others do, but it is safely in my 25-35 range. I don't think that the rare "recent" performances are great because he isn't able to summon the depth of feelings which the recordings and early boots have. Sort of ironic that I feel the same way about "Thunder Road", given that "The Promise" is often thought of as the sequel to TR.

"Stolen Car" is the type of song you listen too alone in the dark after a few too many drinks. The "Son You May Kiss the Bride" version which appears on Tracks is probably the most devastatingly depressing of Bruce's songs. Makes "Wreck on the Highway" seem like "Ramrod" by comparison.

6. What about Point Blank? That's one of the very, very few if not the only Springsteen song that just seems to drag too much for me. He played it when I saw him in Tampa recently and I found myself yawning and watching people line up for the bathrooms.

7. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Oh my. Blasphemy.

8. Webster

"Point Blank" tries to be haunting, but falls a bit short. There are some excellent lines -- the whole part begining with "once I dreamed we were together agian". But man, "these days you don't wait on Romeos,
    you wait on that welfare check" makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Musically, I don't like the ending, with or without the "bang bang baby you're dead" lyric.

9. Webster

Since we're there anyway -- "Backstreets" has never done it for me either.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

that's cool. to each his own. obviously some of bruce's musical stylings aren't going to hit a home run with everyone. all of the above songs are among my faves -- guess i've got a dark side bordering on black.

someone here mentioned "point blank" not doing it for him; i agree on that one. always comes off as strained to me, as if the reality didn't come close to fulfilling how it sounded in bruce's head.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Please stop while you're behind.

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'll second this.

Draft saved Draft deleted