1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen -- Darkness Box Set

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Upstairs a band was playin', the singer was singin' something about goin' home
    She whispered, "Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight but just don't leave me alone"

Fucking gold.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

As a fan of Racin', I thought you'd contribute to the is it/is not a rocked out version of Racin' that MonsterLobster posted :)

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, well, i'm not sure his definition of "rocked out" is shared by anyone in any universe i know of...

oh, and thank goodness that was an outtake. lacks all of the emotional power of "racin'" we've all been so moved by for 32 years...

4. I don't understand what universe you're from that you don't think that outtake can be considered rocked out, particularly considering the speed and arrangement of the original. It's no Prove it All Night or Murder Inc., but they upped the tempo, there's a pretty spirited harmonica going on in there, the bass and bass drum hit pretty hard together and there are a handful of pretty good buildups in the final two minutes or so. I realize we'll probably just have to go back and forth on this issue forever, I will still insist it's "rocked out" considering the tone of the original.

5. shockey

shockey Active Member

i've spent AGES looking for "racin' in the street" from one of the capital theater shows in '78. the full concert video i have has roy clearly starting "racin'" but bruce cutting it off to go right into "thunder road." very frustrating.

well, here it is, at long last. sound quality is amazing:

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, that is great. Just love the outro to that song, almost "Layla"-esque.

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

yup. i've heard/seen versions with even longer "outros" with roy going wild. and how 'bout how skinny my man silvio was back in the day!!

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Hey, we all were back then, shockey. I was 13 when that album came out, that's the one that turned me into a Springsteen freak. Still my fave album...

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The last vinyl album I bought was Bruce's 1975-85 Live Box set. Still have it in mint condition, with booklet.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

That could be worth something if it's in mint condition.

11. my only contribution to this discussion was being at the gala premiere of the Darkness documentary in Toronto, with Bruce in attendance
    my only reason for contributing to the discussion is to tell people that I was at the gala premiere of the Darkness documentary in Toronto, with Bruce in attendance ;D

12. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Good for you! Lucky you! Give some details.

Draft saved Draft deleted