1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen a Kennedy Center honoree

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Sep 9, 2009.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

The Springsteen tribute wasn't very interesting, unfortunately, although Melissa Etheridge killed it and so did Vedder! (Mellencamp was just awful, I thought; too bad the tribute started with him)

On the flip side... the Dave Brubeck tribute was OUTSTANDING! Did you see the look of pride on his face when his four sons were introduced to play the medley!? He was so into it, it made me cry every time they cut away to the old master. I'd love to see some of the good writers on this forum try to describe that expression.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

With the exception of Vedder, the Bruce songs were not very good. I noticed that two of the backup singers were from the Seeger Sessions and the last ESB tours.

Was Nathan Lane in the Brooks tribute? Odd that Broderick would be there and not him.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

All of the tributes were great. I hadn't really heard of Grace Bumbry before, and hers was by far the most eye-opening. The Romanian opera singer was amazing.

Mellencamp was the worst of the Springsteen tributes by far. John Cougar Mellencamp, trying and failing to be Bruce Springsteen since the early 1980s.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are right on that opera singer. What a voice!

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Some of the tributes are better than others - figure a lot of celebs are booked the six or seven months in advance of when the thing is held. Don't know who you get to "outBruce" Bruce. A few years back they had the Black Crowes and Goldie Hawn featured in the tribute to Chuck Berry. I couldn't figure that out.
    The Brooks tribute was well done and I saw it was choreographed and produced in part by the woman who directed The Producers. Nathan Lane would have been nice to see, also would have liked to have seen Bernadette Peters or Gene Wilder.

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I thought Mellencamp was fine. At least he tried to sing the song in line with the way Boss feels about that song these days.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Good to know that Al Bumbry finally got some recognition.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Terry Crowley weeps.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Lane is currently working the pre-Broadway engagement of The Addams Family musical (with Bebe Neuwirth) in Chicago. Previews start in March in NY with the B'way opening in April.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice to hear.

After avoiding Bruce's music for so long, I finally gave the guy a chance last year. Can't speak for his entire catalog, but the period from Born To Run to Nebraska is fucking incredible.

Don't know what the consensus is among fans, but Darkness on the Edge of Town is my favorite by a wide margin.

Now all I need are some illegal bootlegs. :)

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Watched it last night for my NYE entertainment...overall, those two hours just never disappoint. Wonder how it does ratings-wise.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

For me, hat's a flimsy excuse for Lane not to do a 2 minute bit with Broderick. I wonder if something else is up.

DeNiro has a look on his face all the time like he's playing Paul Vitti in Analyze This. I also thought that Stiller and Norton didn't like each other after that movie with Jenna Elfman?

Surprised that no one from the ESB was shown in the audience. It looks that Super Dave was in the audience, but not the Big Man?

Draft saved Draft deleted