1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springsteen a Kennedy Center honoree

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by finishthehat, Sep 9, 2009.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/kennedy-center-will-honor-springsteen-deniro-brubeck-mel-brooks-and-grace-bumbry/?hp

As is Mel Brooks.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Way to go, Boss!

You too, Mel and Bobby and others.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

how fitting. i've always thought deniro was tailor-made to play bruce in a bio-pic -- if we could go back in time....

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

DeNiro, Bruce, Brooks, Brubeck and an opera singer, should be a hell of a show at least. How odd to think DeNiro starred in a movie with Liza? How sad to realize that Marty Feldman, Dom Deluise and most of the rest of the cast from Silent Movie is dead...

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Wonder if DeNiro will tell the story of how his "You talkin' to me?" line in 'Taxi Driver' was inspired by attending a Springsteen concert.
    http://www.examiner.com/x-12020-SF-Taxi-Examiner~y2009m6d4-DeNiro-steals-from-Springsteen

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

ESJ, that's cool. I never heard that story.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Bumping this up -- quite the speech by Jon Stewart in honor of Bruce.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Anyone else watch the show? I thought it was great, though Eddie Vedder did the only Bruce song worth a damn.

The Mel Brooks and Dave Brubeck tributes were great.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I thought it was great, too. I didn't mind Mellencamp's and Sting's was much better than I thought as well.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mellencamp tried something different at least.

Sting did OK, but he always seems like he is going through the motions rather than putting passion into his singing these days. Maybe it's the beard.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I"ve watched this thing for years - as a kid it was interesting seeing all these old people get honored by younger people. Now watching it, I have a better appreciation for the enduring impact the arts have on society. With such a fractured political spectrum and media spectrum, it's hard to argue with the talent of a Brubeck, Bumbry, Springsteen, Brooks and DeNiro. Might be one of the strongest classes of honorees Kennedy Center has had.
    Figure Streep will get hers, Tom Hanks someday, Harrison Ford, Herbie Hancock,
    I do find it amusing that they haven't invited Paul McCartney back after he asked to be honored the following year because he had a conflict on the date.

12. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Did Bruce realize he was in New York, not Ohio?

Sorry - As a Michigan resident, I couldn't resist.

I must say that Bruce deserved the Kennedy Center honor.

I'm surprised there haven't been a string of "Blazing Saddles" quotes here, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted