1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Springfield, Ill.: Three execs at once....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OnTheRiver, Nov 21, 2007.

1. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

http://www.sj-r.com/News/stories/20460.asp

I know Robert Pope from workshops -- a good guy. I don't know the other two.

My understanding is that Gatehouse offered buyout packages recently to the paper's employees -- week of pay for every year of service and 90 days of healthcare.

Anyone else heard anything?

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

This is correct.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sounds like a big "Fuck you" to the ownership.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If only that had happened at my shop. The publisher and editor are a huge part of the reason morale at our place is at an all-time low.

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

FUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOU GAAAAAATEHOUSE (chanted to tune of "Rock Chalk Jayhawk." Think about it, it's catchy).

6. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Wow. Talk about getting confused by the thread title.

I was about to give you props, OTR. I can't even pull two mail room chicks at once.

7. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I can't imagine who'd find such a buyout reasonable. The only person who might be interested is the 40-year-old guy who wants to travel for six months and already has a fallback plan for what he'll do when his checks stop rolling in. I suppose it's better than a layoff or a firing. Makes me wonder just how many people offered to leave.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

They're getting worse, Mr. Balboa. I seem to remember a chain laying off some staff that offered a MONTH of pay for every year of service. And now we're down to a week of pay? God almighty...

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Our place right now (I think the deadline has passed) has it at 4 1/2 weeks, up to 78 weeks max.

Draft saved Draft deleted