1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Despite Manky's consistent absurdity (including, I think, his projected numbers), it is interesting to speculate what Jeter will do this year. A guy who hit .334 three years ago, was awful for a good chunk of last season, but turned it around and was as hot as anyone during the second half last year. His 2011 season really gives either side a legit case to argue he's going to be horrendous, awesome or anywhere in between.

I'm going to throw it out there that he'll bat .302 with a .373 OBP, about 12 HR, 65 RBI and 100 R.

Of course it's all silly guesswork, but I guess I'm just saying I think he'll have a slightly better year than last year, but nothing close to 2009, which I think was his last stand as a great player.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

.285, 11 HRs, 60 RBI, 10 steals.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

God, I fucking love grammar.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't get it. Are you referring to my use of present tense "is" in the sentence?

5. Dick Whitman

Baseball Prospectus on Jeter:

.290/.358/.398, 10 HR, 60 RBI, 16 SB, 73 R, 23 2B

Rotoworld on Jeter:

.282/.353/.373, 8 HR, 57 RBI, 14 SB, 91 R, 24 2B

Interesting because BP is usually the one out of the two that is more conservative in his projections.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

BP is closer to what I think he'll do than Roto, though I think if he's getting on base at about a .360 clip he'll score more runs than that. Probably between 85-100.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

From the "completely expected news" dept., Grady Sizemore will not be ready for Opening Day (due to a back injury):

http://eye-on-baseball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/34978290

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL thanks for pointing that out!

Dick, you should stop being so hard on yourself. Nobody here thinks you're a backwoods goober.

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, LTL, it was so much more fun when he didn't get it.

10. Dick Whitman

It's still fun because I still don't get it!

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

SHUT UP, MEATBALL!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted