1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Joe Mauer will hit a "soft" .370. The Mets will suck. Twas ever thus.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

They're talking about Braun's fantasy worth over on the other thread. That's silly baseball chatter.

This cheer? This serious chatter, man.

(all fun and games, Dick. Promise)

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

A Wire reference? This is seriously one of the biggest asshole moves in the history of this board.

Fuck you.

4. imjustagirl

HAHAHAHAHAHA I didn't even think of that. My humor transcends single thought processes.

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread, I think a really good team will win the World Series, and Nick Punto will be vastly underused despite his awesomeness, all because Mike Aviles apparently has Shortstop DNA.

5. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

That, and the ability to hit.

6. imjustagirl

Potayto, potahto.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The unintentionally funniest quote of Spring Training so far comes courtesy of new Angels reliever Jason Isringhausen, explaining why he was fat last year:

"I wasn't in the best shape of my life last year … but I wasn't planning on playing," Isringhausen said. "I was home playing softball. My arm felt good, so I went and played with the Mets."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-0224-angels-20120224,0,6876359.story

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wilk doesn't throw real hard, but has pinpoint accuracy. Below is probably more of a long relief/spot starter.
    They may move Crosby to the back end of the bullpen. He supposedly has the stuff for it.

I think Smyly and Turner are the top candidates. I've heard a couple scouts say they think Smyly is major league ready now (mind you, he's only pitched a half season in each High A and AA).

9. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Fucka buncha you guys. You know, low hanging fruit and all.

10. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

I know it bothers some of you when I talk about Jeter, but I wondered what kind of year you guys think he will have in 2012.

I think when making projections you have to give weight to recent history as well as the player's overall body of work.

Here's what we know: Jeter reached 3000 hits faster than anyone in modern history. Ty Cobb and Pete Rose are the only comparable players. Gwynn, Ripken, Boggs, Biggio, Henderson, pretty much all the recent 3000 hit players were on their last legs when they got to the milestone. Jeter was the Yankees best hitter in the second half of 2011 (he hit .338, with power from July 9 to the end of the season).

So Jeter obviously still has the talent. Girardi has also started giving him a few more days off because Jetes just doesn't have the stamina he had in his 20s. (I'd rather see Jeter put up great numbers playing 135 games than play 160 games and be spent by the time October comes).

I am going to predict a .320 batting average with 20 homers and 85 RBIs.

What do you think?

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Anyone else you want predictions on?

12. MankyJimy

MankyJimy Active Member

OK. How about Strasburg, Pujols, or Manny?

Draft saved Draft deleted