1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring training thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'll start it off with this story from the Red Sox. Bobby Jenks had a life-threatening situation last year after back surgery in which he was, as far as I can tell, leaking spinal fluid:

http://espn.go.com/boston/mlb/story/_/id/7606198/boston-red-sox-bobby-jenks-feared-life

For a guy often thought to be a backwoods goober, Jenks is impressive in recounting the condition he had.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Another backhanded compliment from Mr. Culture.

3. Dick Whitman

Not at all, Conan.

4. Dick Whitman

Since this was "another backhanded compliment," perhaps you can enlighten me and list some of the past ones? I'm unfamiliar.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You are just so gosh-darned impress that the guy you thought was a backwoods hick can string together a couple of coherent sentences. Save the condescension.

6. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Never a good idea to fly within a few weeks of back surgery. My doctor cleared me to fly Tulsa-to-Denver a couple weeks after I went under the knife and, sure enough, I started leaking fluid.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Dick Whitman

Do your homework. Jenks had a really rough upbringing in some really poor, rural parts of the Pacific Northwest. I've dealt with him professionally. Have you, Conan? In between filing another Judy Blume novel in the young adult section? I know that Jenks isn't a moron. My post was directed at others, posters here perhaps but mostly the public at large, who figured otherwise.

I found the stereotype - much of it fueled by an ESPN: The Magazine piece on him when he was still with the Angels system - to not fit, even though he has at times succumbed to his roots. I'm impressed when anybody can speak fluently on medical issues, actually. Not sure what that has to do with "culture," though.

I'm glad he's OK.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nats will win 103 games.
    Strasburg will win Cy Young.
    Harper will win Rookie of the Year.
    Zimmerman will win World Series MVP.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Replace all Nationals players with Cubs, then I'd be OK.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They're going to be better than many realize, that's for sure. But I don't know if Harper arrives until midseason. He was still in learning stages when his season ended last year in Harrisburg.

FWIW, you impress me daily.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Board snark and sniping aside, Jenks' reputation as having merely "walking-around sense" is nothing new. When he was coming up with the Angels, he was considered dumb even for a ballplayer.

From a 2005 2003 Tom Friend ESPN Insider article on Jenks (it's subscriber-only, or I'd post the link):

Draft saved Draft deleted