1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring training news and notes thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Maybe all the Cardinals' pitchers are just better hitters than Izturis. All they have to do is hit .150 or so.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I heard Fukudome will hit a lot of baseballs over them mountains and help the Cubs take state.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

He could make it rain out there.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Cole Hamels doesn't like his contract.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/20080303_Hamels_calls_Phillies__500_000_contract_renewal_a__quot_low_blow_quot_.html

Maybe he should pitch a full season healthy before saying anything.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Per the wire, Liriano is scheduled to throw a bullpen session tomorrow and, if things go well, pitch in a game later this week.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

This is what happens when a kid is rushed to the big leagues.

Drysdale said you start picking the fruit at 25, and I haven't seen a whole lot to refute that.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I always thought a pitcher who was used as a middle reliever or set-up man when they were in their 20s, seemed to pitch much better later into their 30s.

When you look at Schilling, Dave Stewart, Nolan Ryan and Kenny Rogers... I don't know, maybe I am just full of crap.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Devil -- Agreed on that, but the pointy-headed numbers savants might pull something out of their rectum to say differently.

Kazmir is 6-foot, 170 and made his debut at 20. That's not thinking ahead.

As far as the trade, it might be the best thing that ever happened to the Mets, shining a glare on the fucktarded operation of the club and forcing them to exert some change. Nothing less than a complete public relations disaster such as this crap deal would have achieved that.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

True on all counts LJB..and with Kazmir having already had shoulder and now elbow problems, the Mets might have been right about him being an injury waiting to happen.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Right. Because they had to wait a far shorter period of time before Zambrano blew his arm out?

I don't care if Scott Kazmir blows his arm out throwing money into a den of pit bulls at Mike Vick's house. That was still a fucking awful trade.

And it didn't do a fucking thing to change the Mets. Little Jeffy Wilpon is still running a reign of terror over there. The one GM the Mets had who stayed out of the clubhouse, Jim Duquette, was chased out because he was the GM when little Jeffy traded Kazmir. now they've got Omar, all bluster and no depth, in charge, lording over his disciples and going into the season without finding a backup to his broken down and unproductive first baseman.

Public relations disaster? Yeah the Mets learn so much from those. The fallout from Doc and Darryl sure fix the drug problem there, did it? And they still have the same foof in charge of PR, don't they?

Draft saved Draft deleted