1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring training news and notes thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Overthinking?

Take the Cardinals' lineup then...

Rasmus
    Ankiel
    Pujols
    Glaus
    Duncan
    Kennedy
    Molina
    PITCHER
    Izturis

Now, looking at that lineup, yes, Izturis is a horrible hitter to have in that nine-hole because he fails to get on base a solid number of times. If La Russa was smart, he would move Izturis up in the order (simply to turn over the lineup more) and put Kennedy in the ninth spot, where I believe he did see some time with the Angels. But then it would leave Izturis in the sixth spot with no protection for Duncan or Glaus. With a better lineup, it would be a no-brainer.

Edit: The Braves in the 1990s could have done something like this because they had some great hitting pitchers, like Maddux and Hampton.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, I do believe putting the pitcher anywhere but the No. 9 spot is overthinking except perhaps in a case where you have a great hitting pitcher. I wouldn't blink if the Cubs did it with Zambrano or the the Diamondbacks did it with Micah Owings.

I'm not going to sit here and totally dismiss LaRussa. He has managed a lot of winning teams, including World Series teams with Oakland and St. Louis. But when do you remember any of this "genius" crap he pulls working?

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Semi-good news for Rays fans, and you know who you are. Kazmir will sit a couple of weeks with an elbow strain, but it's not thought to be anything more serious.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sports/comments/kazmir-out-weeks-not-months/

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm sure it's nothing. He'll be good as new in a couple of weeks. Probably won't miss a start...

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've got him penciled in for three starts, then Tommy John.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

As I said yesterday ...

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He's come out and said he expects to be ready for opening day, while the team has said he shouldn't miss more than 1 or 2 starts. According to the MRI, nothing appeared to be wrong structurally with the elbow, so it shouldn't be anything severe.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Teams say that all the time.

but hey he can come back good as new in 2010, when he'll only be 26.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

But Victor Zambrano will still be Victor Zambrano.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I agree. I've seen too many elbow problems follow this path to be optimistic.The good news is that some guys have gained a couple miles an hour after Tommy John surgery. That would be unfair in Kazmir's case.

11. Italian_Stallion

Italian_Stallion Active Member

I don't want to spend an hour or two trying to justify Tony's decision to bat the pitcher in the No. 8 spot. But I imagine it does ensure that the pitcher throws to the No. 9 hitter. In normal circumstances, a pitcher could risk a walk with the No. 8 guy. Generally, that's a hitter prone to striking out. So the pitcher might make him chase a few pitches. Even if he walks the guy, he's got a shot at a double play with the pitcher coming to the plate.

The switch ensures that the pitcher throws to the No. 9 hitter for fear that a walk brings up the top of the order and really causes some issues.

The reality is that it's a half-dozen of one and six of the other. But the small sample from last season does show that the team scores more with the pitcher in the No. 8 spot.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I know I'm going to draw wrath for it, but as IS stated above, I don't see the harm in trying it. If it fails, then too bad, but if it works, who knows?

Draft saved Draft deleted