1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training Begins,

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dkphxf, Feb 14, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But before they get crowned the greatest ever, don't they need to accomplish something as a group? All we know about them is the hype, with a healthy helping of East Coast Bias. Granted, when it comes to the Giants, I'm a fanboi, but they've got a great young rotation that just went out and won the World Series and they've been treated like chopped liver all winter because of what the Phillies might do.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Guy, it's the oldest rule in preseason coverage and talk in every sport. The teams that make big changes get more attention than those who don't -- warranted or not. It's too boring to write or say "Giants starters still terrific" in February. What will the journalist/fan have left to write/say about them in May if they start out a collective 15-2?

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Come on, HanSen. Can we be done with this East Coast bias bullshit.
    Maybe it's just you feeling inferior.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

It means we're less than 7 months from the kickoff to the NFL season.

Hopefully.

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Figure I should weigh in on my own question. I place this day third in the baseball season, behind Opening Day and the trade deadline.

7. Hey, nobody is saying they're going 162-0. Joe Blanton is going to start 30 games, so it'll be more like 150-12.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Pitchers and catchers report... can this be far behind?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. spnited

spnited Active Member

And somewhere on Long Island, a dog is being mercilessly kicked and niether the dog nor BYH knows why.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

BASTARDS!!!!!!

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

True enough, but a lot has to go right for the Jays to be in the thick of it.

While nobody should expect 50+ homers from Batista again, Lind and Snider have to crank up the power and the better hope Aaron Hill can find the batting stroke he had in 2009. Can J.P. Arencibia be counted on for offence and defence from behind the plate? Will starters like Morrow, Romero and Cecil continue to develop? Does Drabek make the jump? Is Dotel the answer as the closer?

I'm looking forward to it but don't have my hopes up....

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

Not sure about the rest of your doubts, Huggy, but as to whether Dotel is the answer aa closer...NO WAY. Somebody else better be ready to step in by May 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted