1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2019.

1. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

So many changes at once, it'll be impossible to isolate which ones are working.

As noted before, all minor leagues have been using the 20-second pitch clock since 2016.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Excellent point. It will also lead to some five hour games as umps, players and managers try to cope with all those rule changes at once. Instead of replay delays, we'll have rule book delays. "What does that say again?"

4. Starman

I don't think there should be much confusion on any of those, except maybe the radar-enabled strike zone. What happens if it starts calling strikes on pitches that bounce twice or go over the catcher's head?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  5. Starman

Also, to enlarge the bases 18 square inches means you're making the physical base about .6 inches larger per side (which will reduce the baseline distance between bases by 0.005 percent). *

The 2-foot longer pitching distance will be a HUGE change. That will effectively cut pitch speeds by 3.2 percent.

I suppose that probably should accomplish the goal of more balls in play.

*-- EDIT: I've seen other online posts on the subject which say:

1, the bases will be enlarged to 18 inches x 18 vs. the current 15 x 15. This makes more sense and may have a measurable effect on play, although the distance between bases is still being shortened only 6 inches.

2, the change in pitching distance will only be instituted at mid season, which will introduce roster changes as another independent factor to muddy the data on the change.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Royals gonna Royal:

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The Ewing Theory is the dumbest fucking thing I've ever heard. The Knicks won exactly the same thing with and without Ewing -- fuck and all.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Is the hidden ball trick on the list soon-to-be forbidden baseball moves?

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted