1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2019.

1. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter what park he plays in. His talent doesn't change.

2. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

3. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

5. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Didn’t read the article, but would first half leaders or *winners* be guaranteed a playoff spot?

6. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Yes. First and second half winners and next three best overall records get in from each league.

[​IMG]

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

What does a team get for winning both halves ?

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Maybe a bye into the LCS, while the wild cards play for the right to meet them there?

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

OK, I'm getting old, so that seems too radically different from the entire history of baseball to be palatable to me. But that's not to say it couldn't work.

Quite honestly, it seems like since '94 people keep making up a narrative that baseball is "broken." Attendance is at an all-time high, regional networks are raking in billions of dollars and the game is competitively balanced.

I think games could be a little shorter, but more than that, I just wish they started a little earlier. I don't mind watching four hours of baseball. Not even a little bit. If those four hours begin at 7 p.m. instead of 8 p.m., I'm good to go.

I think they need playoff games during the day so that my 7-year-old — who loves to play baseball but doesn't get to stay up to even see the first pitch of a playoff game — can see some of the defining moments of his generation.

But realistically, the game is not as broken as many make it seem. Adding pitch clocks, a DH in the NL, blah, blah, blah, is all nonsense.

Make the game shorter by forcing batters to stay in the box. Allow pitchers to throw as soon as they're ready. If the batter is too busy dicking around with his gloves, too fucking bad. No mound visits by a manager/pitching coach except for injury or pitching change. One mound meeting between catcher/pitcher per inning. That would shave 20 minutes off per game pretty quickly.

maumann likes this.
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

MLB continues to have NFL envy. "Hey, those guys dick around with their game every year! That must be why they get those network contracts. We should too!" It's pathetic. Was there a fan outcry for these ideas? No. It's all in-house B-school brainstorming at its worst.

John B. Foster, bigpern23 and maumann like this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

And not for anything, but it sucks every September having to seek out a story detailing the new NFL rules for the upcoming season.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted