1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Apparently some Nationals radio guy went on a Phillies sports talk show saying he knows some source that Harper was in the mood to celebrate on Valentine's Day because his deal was about ready to be announced. This random dude said it was going to be the Giants. He also had more caveats than side affects for a foot fungus prescription.

Then John Hayman reported today the Phillies might be willing to break the bank for Harper

Report: Harper talks 'heating up'; Giants not favorites

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Jon Heyman.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Stroman is no dummy. yeah he has his own self interest front and centre (even after a dismal 2018 season) but he knows how to play to a fan base that has never had much use for the Shapiro/Atkins regime after they let fan favourites like Encarnacion, Bautista and Donaldson go, will keep Guerrero and maybe Bichette in the minors as long as they can and did little to improve the team in the this offseason. Stroman is looking to get paid but he is saying publically the same things the fans are saying.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Heyman is Boras' mouthpiece. Always remember that when reading anything he "reports" about Harper.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

6. Della9250

And since Bochy will retire at 64, he has to wait at least the minimum five years to be inducted into the Hall of Fame. The cutoff is 65 to be eligible for the next cycle, as lobe as it isn't the same year you retire.

7. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

Moustakas reportedly turned down at least one multi year deal to sign with Milwaukee for 1 year and $10 million. This Brewer's lineup is going to be really, really nasty. It might look like...

1.Cain
    2. Yelich
    3.Braun
    4.Shaw
    5.Aguilar
    6.Grandal
    7.Moose
    8.Arcia

Then Keston Huira is waiting in the wings in AAA and he might be the best pure hitter in all of MiLB. They have plenty of arms to choose from including 3 talented youngsters, I am particularly high on Corbin Burnes. I have heard that Kuechel may still be in their plans. It is bizarro world for Wisconsin pro sports...Packers suck but Bucks and Brewers are very good.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Best SF Giants manager ever (and Padres too). On the franchise list, behind only McGraw. Too early to book rooms in Cooperstown for his induction day?

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. Della9250

No.

Every manager with three titles is in. And in re-reading the interpretation of the rule, it looks like he would be eligible regardless after turning 65, so he would be on the 2022 committee ballot for 2023 induction

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Hiura split time at Single-A and Double-A last season. Is there an expectation that he'll be up with the big club for more than a cup of coffee this season? I'm curious for fantasy purposes. /RIPSpnited

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The writing has been on the wall with his health but this still kind of sucks. Real end of a Giants era. Wish the team wasn't in a rebuild so it could give him one last run. Then again, a bad team might be why he's ducking out now.

12. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

I have been told by people I trust that his bat is ready. He will start in AAA and work on 2nd base some more but I will be surprised if he isn't up by June. There is no need to rush him though so we will see. I think the Brewers are getting a start on the DH being in NL. They would be a heck of an AL team right now.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted