1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2019

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Feb 16, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Braves are the last team to have pitchers and catchers report, today. The off-season is over.
    Harper and Machado are still free agents.

Since no one actually denied that the Nats offered 10/300 to Harper that’s the high offer and it doesnt seem like he’ll get 10 years. Maybe more than 30/yr but for considerably less years. Otherwise, he’d have done it already.

Consensus betting favorites
    AL Red Sox, Yankees and Astros
    NL Dodgers, Phillies and Cubs
    All 3 AL clubs are better odds to win the WS than the 3 NL favorites.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If one trusts teh Twitterez, Phillies have inside track on Harper. But source, claiming to be an insider, has only 109 followers and has been on only since January. And none of the big boys have confirmed.

Still think Boras is only kidding himself if he thinks he's going to get a 10-year deal in the analytics era.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I thought I read that the Nats have pulled that offer.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Boswell and Sverluga wrote that in the Post. But Boras could probably get it if he wanted. Though with Angelos and orioles screwing the Nats on the RSN fees, there’s a good amount deferred in Nats contracts.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Having basically promised fans they'd sign one of the two come what may, Phillies have rational incentive to wait as long as possible to do so in hopes prices come down. They're position players, who really don't need half of the spring training pitchers do.

7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The Stroman stuff is going to be fascinating. Media can't stand him...fans love him.

It is the Toronto flashpoint for what is happening across MLB.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Is that Canadian for lashing out?

11. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I'm trying to envision an event that would cause the average Joe out there to take the side of the players over ownership and I can't do it.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The average Joe out there needs three or four whacks across the back of the skull with a 2x4.

Draft saved Draft deleted