1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2013 Thread (add your photos)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Watched that game, not the sharpest Halladay I have ever seen, but he seemed to be getting squeezed on a lot of close pitches by a minor-league ump.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

For $140 million the Mets got one good season and a no-hitter

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Justin Verlander gets a five-year extension from the Tigers. Total contract is seven years, $180 million. Could reach 8/$202M with the vesting option.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9111981/justin-verlander-detroit-tigers-agrees-deal-which-worth-202-million-sources

That's slightly more money and one more year than King Felix, who is four years younger.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tim Lincecum finishes the spring with a 10.57 ERA.

And the Giants and their broadcast crew feign happiness because he struck out six in his 4 2/3 innings last night, during which he allowed five runs and a home run in his pitcher-friendly home park.

Best move the Giants have made since Bonds left: going year-to-year (or two years at a time) with Lincecum and not locking themselves into a King Felix-Verlander type of contract.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Oh I heard Krukow gushing over him as I was putting together the baseball roundup and all I could think was, were we watching the same game?

Meanwhile, Giants Posey agree to deal through 2022:

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_22901211/buster-posey-san-francisco-giants-agree-9-year

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

A catcher locked up for more than $18 million per thru age 34? What could possibly go wrong?

Ask every elite catcher in baseball history other than Carlton Fisk and Ivan Rodriguez. All the others were pretty much washed up by 32.

Of course, Posey will probably be a first baseman in two years. In which case he's not worth nearly that much.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Posey had some of the best numbers in the league last season despite his ballpark -- fourth in OPS and SLG, first in BA, second in OBP -- so even if he is measured as a first baseman, a $19M annual average to a healthy 26-year-old is not exorbitant. Certainly looks better than Pujols' or Fielder's deals. But the way they use him will probably add to his life as a catcher -- he gets so much time off from there, while staying in the lineup, that it will probably be the way they do things.

If there is ever a full position switch, though, I am guessing it is more likely to be to third base than first. It looks like Brandon Belt is going to be the first baseman for quite some time, but more to the point it looks like the Giants will never give Pablo Sandoval a big long-term deal if he stays fat, and he's going to stay fat.

Draft saved Draft deleted