1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

You don't think the Mets are good enough to even be considered challengers?

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Maybe challengers if everything goes right for them. The Phillies are better at the positions with the exceptions of third base, center field and catcher. I can't see Delgado matching last year's production. They should have picked up Manny. A lot will hinge on whether Pelfrey takes another big step up, which is possible. He improved a lot last season. Both have strong, deep pens.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Isn't the plan for Wieters to spend half the season in Triple-A?

I'd pick David Price in that case, even assuming the Rays will stash him on the DL for a month.

4. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I think what gets lost in the Mets' two collapses is that even with all their September problems and their bad bullpen and their injuries (no Maine or Wagner down the stretch killed them), they still only lost the division by an eyelash both times. The lineup and rotation compared to the Phillies seems more or less a wash, but the Phils shouldn't have anywhere near as a big an advantage in the bullpen this year. To me, the division is a coin flip.

5. cranberry

Yeah, I just read MacPhail's comments about him only having 200 double-A at-bats. That would change things. The stat geeks say he already projects as one of the top catchers in baseball this year, so I don't know what else he has to prove.

The question mark people like to toss out is his pitch-calling ability (because it was done for him at Georgia Tech), but I had a pretty long conversation with him earlier this winter and he told me he's always loved that part of the game and that he's confident in his ability. I still don't rule out the possibility of him forcing his way into the starting role over Zaun. He is the O's best catcher.

---

Here are BB Prospectus' Top 10 prospects:

1. Matt Wieters, C, Orioles
    2. David Price, LHP, Rays
    3. Madison Bumgarner, LHP, Giants
    4. Pedro Alvarez, 3B, Pirates
    5. Travis Snider, OF, Blue Jays
    6. Neftali Feliz, RHP, Rangers
    7. Rick Porcello, RHP, Tigers
    8. Colby Rasmus, OF, Cardinals
    9. Buster Posey, C, Giants
    10. Jason Heyward, OF, Braves

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I feel bad for the O's, being stuck in the AL East and with a horseshit owner. MacPhail's made a couple nice moves this winter. I wouldn't be floored if they edged out the Jays this year for fourth.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Expect to see Wieters up sometime between May 1 and May 15. Zaun will move into a backup role, and Robbie Hammock or Chad Moeller or whoever will hope to catch on with AAA Buffalo or New Orleans or something.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

What the fuck is Omar Minaya doing?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2009/02/14/2009-02-14_mets_sign_veteran_livan_hernandez_to_com.html

Sign more back end of the rotation shit but he won't even talk to Pedro, who has said a hundred times he wants to come back to the Mets because he feels he owes them more than he gave them.

9. cranberry

I'll say this for Livan: He's a horse who always eats up innings for you -- always good for about 200 innings if you let him keep going out there and, somehow, he usually wins more games than he loses. But he gives up an awful lot of hits and runs. Omar has a weakness for these types of pitchers.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Any idea where Lars Anderson lands on that list?

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If the Mets have to resort to Livan, God help them.

12. cranberry

He gives them one more option for the fifth starter role. I'd guess their preferred order of contestants is probably Freddy Garcia, Livan Hernandez, Tim Redding and Jon Niese. Redding is likely takes long reliever role, Niese goes back to minors. Hernandez can bide time at Buffalo until he's needed and, let's face it, someone is going to get hurt before the season is done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.