1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I tend to think that he better serves the Yankees in a relief role, primarily as Rivera's set up man while learning how to be a Major League closer. What do you think? What role best suits him?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Wang is a DL visit waiting to happen? Is interleague early this year?

3. Wang is a so-called power pitcher who can't strike batters out. He had an ERA of about 4.00 when healthy and now with a damaged right foot he'll have trouble pushing off the rubber to generate the power to make his sinkerball sink enough to be successful. I'm guessing about 13-9 with a 4.30 ERA and less than 30 starts for the Wangster.

4. casty33

casty33 Active Member

While spnited and me would love to see them suffer all season, I fear there's too much talent there for that to happen. I don't think they're a lock to win the division (especially with an OF of Damon, Cabrera and Nady-Swisher), they're still clearly involved. And if the Rays follow the pattern other teams have had after a break-through year, the division is open.

5. Sorry Casty - the division isn't open. The Yankees and Rays will be looking for a wildcard birth as the glorious Red Sox lock up the best record in baseball.

All hail the Red Sox!!

6. Guy_Incognito

He's no Randy Wolf.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You're probably right. Jays have no chance with the huge hits to their rotations this winter. And Orioles will come in last but Weiters will win ROY.

8. Guy_Incognito

In the NL, Baltimore would be a hot sleeper WC pick.

9. Don't forget about David Price for ROY. He looks like the real deal and he still qualifies for the ROY.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Price only threw something like 135 innings total last season. They'll be a little careful with him, I think (I hope?). If Wieters remains healthy, I think he has Mauer-like potential. But you're right, Price has to be a big part of the conversation at this early stage.

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And in the NL, I see no reason why the Phillies can't repeat. Only the Cubs appear good enouth to challenge them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.