1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spring Training 2009

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Feb 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Amateur. [/Billy Martin]

2. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Only Craig Hansen can take the dog out for a morning stroll and end up walking Mark Reynolds.

3. casty33

casty33 Active Member

I can't imagine actually counting on Brad Penny. That would be like somebody counting on Pedro Martinez for a regular spot in your rotation. Not gonna happen.

When will Joe Girardi have his first blowup with the Yankees media crew?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When is his first press conference?

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yesterday....and he was very calm, for now.

I give him a week under the A-Rod circus tent.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So, is anyone coming down for the Grapefruit League? Or here already?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It will likely coincide with Joel Sherman's first appearance at camp.

8. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

The Yankees spend all that money, only for A-Rod to tarnish the Yankee brand, fresh off the heels of Torre's try. King George must be rolling in his grave...oh, wait a second...

In all seriousness, the Yanks will be solid this year.
    But it's going to take a while. A-Rod is going to be trying too hard (if he's playing. I don't see Selig suspending him, but you never know). The team is going to need time to adjust to their new stadium, Sabathia needs to get used to American League bats again, and Girardi, no matter what happens with A-Rod, will be spending too much time fending off steroid questions, yet again. If any of those other 103 players are named, I'm sure there'll be other hallowed Yankees on that list.
    Not to mention the WBC is this year, too. Its a poor way to look at it, but if I'm Brian Cashman, all I can think about is a Jeter or Cano injury waiting to happen.
    Once that's over, and the team gets off the back page for a while, they'll be scary good. I just don't see it happening right away.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

A 38-year-old catcher with a bad shoulder; a bad-attitude second baseman coming off a horrible year; an aging superstar shortstop with no range; a steroid-using head case at third; Johnny Damon in left; Melky Cabrera/Brett Gardner in center; Hideki Matsui rehabbing at DH.

How scary is that?

10. Not to mention their questionable pitching staff.

Their ace traditionally has trouble beating the team's biggest rival and also traditionally fades in the playoffs.

Their #2 and #3 starters are medical question marks and DL stays waiting to happen.

Their #4 is probably cooked and their #5 has Kerry Wood disease.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Chris, is Joba the No. 5?

12. On many depth charts. He'll probably be the #4 coming out of spring training as Pettitte develops a mysterious leg injury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.