1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sprewell facing $200 mil grocery bill

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by GB-Hack, Jan 29, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sportschick, I think you're being a little heavy-handed here. He wasn't excusing Sprewell's behavior. He wasn't calling her a gold digger. He was just saying that $200 million is exorbitant, which was my first thought when I read the story. If Sprewell is actually worth $400 million, OK, it's not. But I seriously doubt he's worth that much.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

If he makes $400m, and we're talking about before taxes, why would she deserve half?

I do empathize with the former Mrs. and I certainly believe that his children deserve something, but isn't this a bit excessive? Unless she was working and paying for everything while Sprewell was struggling and learning the game of basketball, thereby being the breadwinner of the family before he made it big, I just don't understand why she should obtain half of whatever he earned.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

True story: My mom liked Latrell Sprewell, but it wasn't UNTIL he choked out P.J. that he became her favorite player. She really hated P.J. for some reason. I would have questioned her choice, but it knocked Christian Laettner off the top of the chart, so I wasn't going to press the matter.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

On the second page, and no heyabbott yet?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My memory may be failing me here, but I do remember once sportschick admitting that she gets a tad...overzealous... when it comes to issues like this.

The $2 million is definitely excessive. No way he has $4 million. Even if he did, unless the law decides their arrangement qualifies as a marriage, I don't see how she deserves half.

Then again, the way this is all going down, Spreewell's going to get picked apart from a number of different directions. Couldn't happen to a more deserving scumbag.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I don't know how it works down there but up here she'd be entitled to half of whatever he's got/worth unless there was a prenup in place.

And everybody knows the $200 mil is nonsense. It's just a little wake-up call by the lawyers.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That's pretty much it here, IF they are married.

You want the rights of being married? Get married. If he won't do that? Don't have four kids with the guy.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It's 5 kids, Spree's baby momma times 4 is also the guardian for spuewell's 16 year old child from another bitch. You can take the thug out from the ghetto, but you can't keep the thug from keepin it real and taking the ghetto with him wherever he goes.

Besides his financial bullshit, after making a $100,000,000.00 or so in career earnings, what kind of thug-boy walks out on his 5 kids and doesn't leave a forwarding address or care enough to be with his kids. Hipe he gets shived in lockup

9. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

None of us knows the women in question in this Sprewell case.
    None of us knows the woman who was a "publicist" for T.O.
    None of us knows the former Ms. Michael Strahan.
    To debate the relative merits off these people is purely speculative and is cause for nothing, really more than resultant name-calling one another.
    Good thing there are courts to decide these cases.
    None of us here on SportsJournalists.com (that I know of) wears the black robe of justice.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, if you've been living common-law for what, 7 years, then you're married in the eyes of our law.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OOP, you're missing some zeroes. If it were only $2 or $4 million, I really don't think we'd be discussing the money. But the suit is for $200 million. Hence my thought that it was exorbitant. and JR's right, it's probably an attempt at attention-getting by her attorney. She may win the suit, but I'd be shocked if she's awarded that much money. If she is, I don't think she'll ever see any of it.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Latrell Sprewell today called Kevin McHale to see if he was still needed.

Draft saved Draft deleted