1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spreadsheet help please!!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Sep 28, 2008.

1. OK, I'm trying to accomplish something very basic here, but I can't seem to figure out it. And it's getting extremely frustrating :mad:

All I want to do is have the same formula applied to every cell in a column.

So starting with B2, let's say that I want every block in the B column to divide the number I enter by 2. So then I can just zip all the way down the column, and when I enter a number, it will automatically apply that simple formula when I enter a number and press return.

How in God's name do I do this? I have been trying to figure it out for 45 minutes, and can't make heads or tails. I know I've figured it out in the past, but I can't figure it out now for the life of me.

And, yes, you are assisting me with fantasy draft preparation.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Enter the formula you want in B2, then place your cursor at the bottom right corner of B2. When you see a smaller, black cross, just click and drag down column B (as far as you want to go).

3. OK, the problem is this:

So in B2, I want to have 6/2. So I enter: =6/2. And 3 pops up when I press return.

But when I drag it down, I just get 3s all the column.

What I want is to be able to then type in 8 in B3 and have 4 pop up.

And I can't get it to do that.

4. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

put in this..

=SUM(B2/2)

and then drag it down

5. OK, but again, now it just applies that number all the way down the line. I want to be able to, again, type in a new number in each column, press return, and have it divide that number by 2 (actually, 1.14, but 2 was a simple number to use here).

Damn, I'm frustrated almost to tears. I know this has to be the simplest f-ing thing in the world to do.

6. three_bags_full

I'm trying to figure out a way to do it using an absolute cell reference -- putting a 2 in another box and referencing that particular cell all the way through. Give me a few minutes.

7. Yeah, I think that's it. You need two columns next to each other. I think.

8. three_bags_full

I'm not having much luck

9. KG

KG Active Member

If you want it to do the same thing in each column, you just have to change the formula for the different letters of each column.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup....
    B2 -- C2---D2 and so on...

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

If you click and drag the formula correctly, this one should work right. There's no need to put a "2" in a box and reference to it.

<b>edit</b>
    WJ, I re-read your problem ... imho, what you need to do is move the formula to C2, with the =SUM(B2/2) as the formula....it adds a column, but you'll put the number in B2 and it will give you the answer in C2. Otherwise, you're just over-writing the formula.

Draft saved Draft deleted