1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spreading HIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 31, 2011.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Yeah, almost as funny as a dork posting videos and pics all day.
    Almost.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Um.

www.avert.org/worldstats.htm

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

You guys who are questioning the spread of AIDS of hetero sex -- I can't even believe it. It's 2012. WTF?

Are you teaching your kids this? Are you just saying, 'it's okay Jr., take the chance it probably won't happen'. That's pretty much what it sounds like.

Really?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is why these discussions are silly.

I'm strictly speaking about the actual risk. The numbers will tell you that a straight, healthy male who has vaginal sex with women, and who doesn't use IV drugs is at a very low risk -- especially if he's not having sex with thousands of women, like Magic Johnson, or some of the other famous cases.

It's not wrong to say this. And, it doesn't mean anyone should take unnecessary risks.

It makes sense for both partners to get tested before having unprotected sex -- especially because AIDs is not the only STD.

But, having done that, I'm not going to have any fear about having unprotected sex when in a monogamous relationship.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's not PC to say, but he's right.

This disease is so off the radar it's not even funny. It never became what they told us it was going to become.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Go read the HIV prevention thread on www.medhelp.org. It's run by one of the top HIV/AIDS epidemologists in the world. You'd be astounded at how relatively unlikely heterosexual transmission of HIV actually is. That doesn't mean you shouldn't wrap that rascal; no one of a right mind would say that. But HIV is, especially as compared to other STDs, relatively difficult to get.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

You must mean in America, right?

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I don't get it. He may as well have said the sky is blue. Who is saying he isn't "right." I just don't see the purpose of the statement or the point he is trying to make. It didn't become what it was because most people heeded the warnings. Go to Africa and tell me it's off the radar.

The way he says it, it's like he wishes AIDS was more rampant in the U.S.

9. YankeeFan

The reason it's not PC to say is because it implies homosexual males are more sexually promiscuous, and so that explains why it is more rampant than in the heterosexual community.

It adds to the myth that homosexuals are sexual deviants.

But, the fact of the matter is that the actual sex act is what makes it more likely to be spread through homosexual/anal sex.

Heterosexual males are just as promiscuous (or at least aspire to be) as their homosexual counterparts, and are just as deviant (however you want to define it).

There's no reason, when discussing AIDS, to ignore that men who have sex with other men are at greater risk. That's just a fact.

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

So IYO, you can't get it from heterosexual anal sex?

11. YankeeFan

Am I speaking a foreign language here?

A woman, having anal sex with an infected man (or, let's even say a high risk man, i.e. a man who has sex with other men, or an IV drug user) would be at risk.

The risk for the man would be somewhat elevated, because anal sex can be "rougher" than vaginal sex -- that is, there's more of a chance of bleeding.

But, what I think I've been pretty clear about is that, for a healthy male, with no open sores on his penis, who has vaginal sex with women, the risk of of getting AIDs is low.

I'd be much more worried about something like herpes.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right...

Draft saved Draft deleted