1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spreading HIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mehhhh, I'm still on the fence.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I know of one guy, one of my best friends, who was diagnosed the day Magic made his announcement. He died about a year later and to my knowledge wasn't gay or bisexual.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Semen isn't the most potent carrier, blood is. And the reason gay men run a higher risk of HIV infection is because anal sex is more likely to result in exposure to blood than any other form.

Where in the heck did you get these numbers? For an HIV-negative man a single episode of unprotected vaginal intercourse with an HIV-positive woman carries an average risk of infection of around 1 in 2,000. For an HIV-negative woman, a single episode of unprotected vaginal intercourse with an infected partner carries an average risk of infection of around 1 in 1,000.

For an HIV-negative man on the receiving end of anal sex with an HIV-positive man, the per-episode average chance of infection is about 1.7%. If the HIV-negative man is the "insertive" partner, his per-episode chance of infection is about one-third of that.

4. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

It is exploding in the African-American community right now.

Today, women account for more than 1 in 4 new HIV/AIDS cases in the United States. Of these newly infected women, about 2 in 3 are African-American. Most of these women got HIV from having unprotected sex with a man.

http://abcnews.go.com/Primetime/story?id=2346857&page=1

and

http://www.womenshealth.gov/minority-health/african-americans/hiv-aids.cfm

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Since I agreed with the earlier statement, I feel like I should respond.

Semen + blood (i.e. an open sore) makes for easier transition. And, without getting to graphic, it's a big reason why the disease can be transmitted from an infected person who has anal sex with an uninfected person. (The infected person being the "insertive" partner.)

And, it explains why a healthy make, with no open sores on his penis, is less likely to be infected through vaginal sex.

None of which is to say that anyone should take unnecessary risks.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I'm an awful person, but all this talk of insertive partners just makes me think one thing:

"Speed has EVERYTHING to do with it."

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doesn't everyone HIV s a CIA plot to kill blacks. I thought that was common knowledge.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You're going to see this in any culture/demographic in which homosexuality/bi-sexuality is frowned upon. It will be magnified if that culture/demographic is also less responsive to using condoms.

I would hope it's not controversial to say that this might explain why the numbers are higher in the African-American community in America.

Straight women who have unprotected sex with men who have sex with men (which is a different definition than homosexual according to the CDC), or IV drug users are going to be at risk.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exploding? It's an epidemic that isn't being properly reported IMO.

10. Nothing funnier than people who never get laid arguing about spreading AIDS

Have a nice day

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's like geeks who make a chastity vow.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don't want to come across as argumentative, but that's not exploding. Those rates have remained relatively stable for the last several years. Per the CDC, young African-American males who have sex with other males are the only cohort for which the infection rate has increased over the last several years. Per the CDC: "By race/risk young, black MSM were the only group to experience a statistically significant increase in new infections over the four-year time period studied."

Draft saved Draft deleted