1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spreading HIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 31, 2011.

1. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

Gay men have higher rates of HIV/AIDS because semen is the most potent carrier of the virus. It's not because they're more promiscuous or any of that nonsense, not that any of you were suggesting that.

If gay guys are having sex, obviously, there's a much higher risk someone is going to be taking in semen. That's probably also why you know of straight women who got it from their husbands but not straight men who got it from their wives. It's much more difficult to transmit that way.

Another common myth is that it's very likely you will get the virus if you have sex with an infected partner. I'm obviously not condoning that or trying to say it's not stupid to have unprotected sex, but the fact is that even if you have unprotected sex with an infected person, your chance of getting the virus is a little less than 25%. Not exactly a chance you want to take, but much, much lower than I thought it was before I did the research on it.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I was getting at.

3. Whoa whoa whoa - I wasn't saying Mark Sanchez is gay.

I was just saying he needs to be stopped

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Really?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. Why? What did I say to make you think otherwise?

I specifically said females were susceptible to getting it from men. Vise versa is much more rare. Unless you have an open sore, a man's penis is not something that would make the virus easily transferable.

Sorry if I wasn't more clear. It's quite an odd thing to even type.

I don't think straight men have some sort of magical power to resist the virus.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If I were marrying Mark Sanchez, the test weighing most heavily on my mind would likely be the ACT.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think women are more concerned with his Wonderlick. :D

8. imjustagirl

Oddly, the talk of Mark Sanchez as a sexual being is more troubling than anything else on here.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

More than the fact that the guy in the story is a bald goateed 51 year old who's had sex with 3,000 men and women in the last three years?

Because the fact that the guy in the story is a bald goateed 51 year old who's had sex with 3,000 men and women in the last three years seems like a missing element from this otherwise solid discussion.

10. imjustagirl

It's called hyperbole.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I would have expected such a person to be Hollywood handsome.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

We were told AIDS would be exploding into the heterosexual community in the 1980s. We were told AIDS would be exploding into the heterosexual community in the 1990s. We're still waiting and it simply is not happening. And it won't.

Draft saved Draft deleted