1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spreading HIV

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

What kind of a monster is this?
    http://m.examiner.com/healthy-trends-in-new-york/hiv-positive-david-dean-smith-of-michigan-spreads-disease-to-kill-people

2. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Anyone who is having unprotected sex these days is nothing but a fool. And if you're married and haven't had an HIV test, you're a fool too.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I've thought about this thread a lot since Drip posted it.

I have decided I am against the spreading of HIV.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It depends on whom you or your spouse slept with. I'm good.

6. I don't care about the consequences but I too would like to publicly state that I am against the spreading of HIV.

I consider that a bad thing - like Rich Kotite.

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

But what about the people your spouse slept with? The virus is spreading like wildfire right now, and no one is talking about it. You can have it and it can lay dormant for years. Happened to a friend of mine. Had it for probably 10 years, never was tested, changed some medicine they were one, the virus was triggered and he was dead is 6 weeks.

8. Not everyone has a spouse who's slept with other people. For those people, they don't have the same need for testing as others. Is there still a possibility? Sure, there are other ways to theoretically contract the virus, but they are so unlikely as to make courts refuse to give remedies for people exposed to a dentist's open sores even as the dentist knew he had HIV and didn't tell his patients or take any precautions.

9. imjustagirl

Or people could be married to people who SAID they didn't sleep with other people.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My wife also says she's not secretly injecting me with HIV in the middle of the night while I sleep, though I only have her word for it.

Granted, one is more likely than the other, but I'm not losing sleep over either possibility being true.

11. imjustagirl

Not saying you should lose sleep. But if my life was on the line, I'd risk the hurt feelings to make sure I didn't die. Alls I'm saying.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can use the "if your life was on the line" argument to justify almost literally anything.

If my life was on the line, I'd get a colonoscopy every day to improve my odds of having colon cancer caught early.

If my life was on the line, I'd never, ever drive a car on the highway, where deaths are not statistically uncommon.

Etc., etc., etc.

Everyone risks their lives every day in all sorts of ways. You just feel more comfortable risking your life in some ways than others.

Draft saved Draft deleted