1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spread some holiday cheer thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by murphyc, Dec 21, 2013.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

First and foremost, that's great news, murph. Congrats to you and your wife!

Now for some music ... great original Christmas song called "Rock n Roll Santa":

"Santa looks great, Santa's lost weight,
    He's a rock 'n roll Santa and he's gettin' in shape."

2. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'm the cliched disabled greeter at the Toys R Us. I stand near the door, cane in hand, smile on my face, telling people hello and where they might find an item they want. My skills and experience as a reporter make me ideal for the job: unlike many other socially awkward people hired, I am comfortable making conversation with strangers. Also I was able to learn and retain a great deal of knowledge on the whereabouts of items in a relatively short amount of time. It's not that important of a position because I don't rack up a lot of metrics for instant credit approvals or product protection plans, but I serve my purpose.

On Monday night, a grandmother came in with her adult daughter and her little boy, maybe about 4 or 5. They were shopping for someone, but the grandmother tells me they just had to come back and thank me. Apparently, the grandmother came in a few days ago to look for a certain toy for the boy's birthday, which was on Sunday. The boy was absolutely thrilled with the toy. The grandmother says to the boy, "This is the nice man who knew exactly what aisle your toy was on and then helped me find it." The boy walked up to me with his hand out for me to shake it and said, "Thank you, I love my plane gramma got me for my birthday." Absolutely adorable kid.

Sure, I make less than a fourth of what I did in news, and I probably don't have a job after Christmas. It's certainly not a glamorous job with an adrenaline rush of writing about a SWAT stand off or the intrigue of a murder trial. When a lot of other people just brush past me because they've got a phone glued to their head or they're in a confrontational mode because ... I dunno, Christmas shopping just brings the worst out in a lot of people. But it made me really happy to know I helped those folks give the kid a great birthday.

Especially because earlier in the day we had to call the cops on a woman who freaked out at the store and started screaming and throwing items around because we were out of whatever.

3. My gift to SportsJournalists.com.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

First off, congrats Murphy. I have 5 adopted siblings and I can't imagine my life without them.

As for us, JR and I got our best Christmas gift about 2 hours ago... our power came back on. The ice storm took it out at about 3AM Sunday morning along with heat and hot water. We've been in a motel since.

Seriously, all I wanted was to wake up in my own (warm) bed on Christmas with JR to a working Keurig. I am blessed. :)

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Great news for you guys. My brother-in-law, who lives in Pickering, is still out as are my in-laws, who live in North York. Loads of damage out here in my 'burb but the power outages were relatively minor.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I read this the other day and though it was a great idea, so we did it for the station up the street that covers us.

You could tell they certainly weren't expecting anyone. They were sitting around the TV with the lights off, grabbing a nap, I'm sure. When my daughter handed the cookies to him, she gave him a shy, "Merry Christmas."

I told them that our family certainly understands holidays spent apart, and we just wanted to come by, say thanks and use it as a chance to teach the "it's-better-to-give" lesson. One of them asked my son, who's face was buried in Mrs. t_b_f's leg, if he wanted to see the trucks and he bolted for the door.

Thanks for the idea.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Although military and police charities are generally poor, the Wounded Warrior Project and USO are both efficient charities that do a TON for Soldiers and veterans.

The USO provides too many services for Soldiers to list, and it's pretty obvious what the WWP does.

So, if you want to donate to veterans/military charities, you won't find many better.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I bought the ring a week ago today. I achieved total surprise when giving it to her yesterday morning. (I couldn't sleep from 4am on... I knew why. She didn't... until later, of course.) She said yes, even though she was still half asleep. She said yes a few minutes later when she was fully awake.

Christmas was merry, indeed.

And congrats again, Murphy, on the addition to your family.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Thanks DD, and congrats to you as well. What a great Christmas it must have been for you guys!

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Congrats, DD!!

Draft saved Draft deleted