1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Spotlight"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

This is what the greatest mind of his generation thinks about? :)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Randy Quaid's character would have ended up a lot like Randy Quaid writing screeds for his conspiracy-heavy website ranting about "the stuff THEY don't want you to know about."
    Disagree about Hackett, he'd be teaching journalism at Stony Brook.
    Alicia seems like she would have been they type to have thrived in the corporate BS and become a VP at Gatehouse.

Cape_Fear likes this.
  3. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Poetic license pisses off a real-life character in this movie.
    Jack Dunn had a different reaction. After seeing the film at the Loews theater across from Boston Common, he stepped onto the sidewalk and threw up. “The things they have me saying in the movie, I never said,” Dunn said. “But worse is the way they have me saying those things, like I didn’t care about the victims, that I tried to make the story go away. The dialogue assigned to me is completely fabricated and represents the opposite of who I am and what I did on behalf of victims. It makes me look callous and indifferent.”

When the truth ends up on an editing room floor - The Boston Globe

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I read this and thought that it may have been the very common case of they "I never said that" even when it's on tape.

Also could be license on part of the movie (though why have a real person saying it as opposed to Composite Character?)

Or could be that Mr. Dunn thought he was being open and helpful to the victims but came across the the reporters as someone who was stonewalling and hiding things. The column does say that the school didn't know anything and didn't have files. So the reporters could have come away with a completely different idea of the meeting.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Although you wouldn't like him when he's angry.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Funny how the Avengers movies are so popular. Hulk and Thor are super boring characters.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Every true story has a lot of falsehoods.

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Agree with Thor, but I think Hulk/Bruce Banner (at least Ruffalo's version) is a super interesting character. Something about the reluctant, tortured hero.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Can you nerds stick to your own thread? :)

TyWebb likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

See Dan Devine in "Rudy," in which he was portrayed as a dick by one of Hollywood's leading Designated Dick character actors, Chelcie Ross. Devine was depicted as being a dick who tried to hound Rudy Ruettiger off the ND football team, had to be blackmailed by the threat of a player walkout into allowing him to dress for a single game, and only grudgingly allowed him on the field for two plays, when in reality he had encouraged Ruettiger, talked him out of quitting, dressed him for five games and joined in the postgame celebration after he did play.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

And he said Jesus can't hit a curveball. BASTARD!!!

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And tried to tell Norman Dale and Don Draper how to do their jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted