1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriting college textbooks, anyone?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Scwibe, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Scwibe

Scwibe Member

Deepest and most profuse apologies, because this Subject has been broached here before (alas, i cannot unearth it from the archives).

So, please, could you folks kindly suggest books -- besides "Pond Scum" or BASW -- that you firmly believe the modern-day college student must read to know something about our business?

Deep-thinking, analytical texts are also welcome.

And no fair plugging your own (or relatives') books.

thanks muchly

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you should read as many collections of great writings as you can get your hands on...

I remember reading ones by Jim Murray, Red Smith, Dan Jenkins to name a few when I was in school and to this day I still try to read those books whenever I can... SI has a few books out that are collections of great writing and are all great reads... Jim Murray's autobiography should be a must...

3. georgealfano

georgealfano Guest

There was a book about sportswriting which was posted a while ago. I think it was by somebody named Christopher Walsh and, although he had something on the thread, I don't think he started it. The reason it was posted was because of the picture, which showed a sportswriter eating a hot dog over a manual typewriter.

Of course, some people started mocking out the picture and the truth is, it wasn't a great picture. It turned out the picture was of a horse racing writer of some renown, but the picture was unflattering. It turned out Christopher Walsh had nothing to do with selecting the picture, but he came on here and seemed like a decent enough guy.

I haven't read the book, but one thing which might seem to be an asset is that the book would be pretty current. Since Christopher Walsh isn't a sportswriting superstar - and I mean no disrespect, for he seems to have a lot of experience - that might be another plus because it would be a realistic image of what sportswriting is all about.

4. bballscribe

bballscribe Member

True, the book's called "No Time Outs: What It's Really Like To Be a Sportswriter Today." It basically goes through the druthers and experience of covering sports, starting from day 1 when Chris covered high school beats, to his experiences as a college and pro beat writer.

It's a really good read, and I would definitely recommend it.

5. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

try this one: Real Sports Reporting, Indiana University Press

http://www.iupress.indiana.edu/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=21851

6. Furry Tractor

Furry Tractor Member

7. statrat

statrat Member

SI's 50 years of great sportswriting is a great source. I have it sitting on my desk, and whenever I think I've written a good story, I open it up and remind myself of how woefully inept I am at my job! :)

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

AP Stylebook, Sports section.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

10. Marvin

Marvin Active Member

Here's that other thread, with a big freaking pic of the cover.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/22700/

Draft saved Draft deleted