1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriters funnier on Twitter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportsguydave, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I use it to promote my blog posts and to post during games, but that's about it.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Thanks for stopping by, Dave.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

Dont understand the people who refuse to do this. It can only help yourself and your publication. There is no downside.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

This.

I don't have enough time to head to the websites of 100 different papers. I have a few RSS feeds but Twitter is so immediate, I bet 40 percent of the articles I read in a day come to my attention on Twitter.

There are a lot of people like me. See how others are doing it right, and do it yourself. Have your paper promote your Twitter account in a few article footers. Watch the traffic to your work go up.

Newspapers are struggling too much to be a dinosaur about this. Whatever the fad, it's time for reporters to get caught up in them if it means increased readers. And Twitter has proven to increase readers.

5. pffft

pffft Member

Yeah, it just seems stubborn to me, but whatever.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

We don't even do any work on our twitter or facebook feeds other than try to add more followers.

The RSS feeds publish directly to our accounts. We get 8 posts a day. It works great.

7. Twitter is in the top-10 of NYT referrers, but accounts for less than 10 percent of its traffic.

http://mediamemo.allthingsd.com/20090921/the-new-york-times-brought-to-you-literally-by-twitter/

I use Twitter and have more than 1,000 followers, and it does help drive traffic. Also, you can set it up on a feed so that it automatically grabs headlines from your blog and eliminates much of the work for you. It's also great for quick breaking news tweets that can later be expanded on your blog or newspaper site.

8. Sly

Sly Active Member

9. tmayforth

tmayforth Member

Twitter is a great tool that I have found works wonders for coverage.

10. I'm not sure how anybody in journalism can dismiss any Internet development as "a fad," since that's what got the whole industry in trouble to begin with.

Twitter's great. A better version might come along and usurp it, but the idea ain't going away.

11. silentbob

silentbob Member

Agree 100 percent.

12. Should those who don't tweet feel left out? No. I rarely tweet because I'm an inexperienced 25-year-old. I've got nothing to say (well, nothing of much importance to random folk).

I'm all for newspapers posting stories and small items on Twitter. I'm glad mine does. But for some writers, asking them to tweet (especially if they're ill-suited to the structure, style, ect.) is a bit much.

EDIT: I should add that I am all for journalists "following." Twitter helps me keep in touch with the local junior hockey and arena football teams, and getting tips from tweets is something that every beat writer should at least attempt.

Draft saved Draft deleted