1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter -- Yuma (Ariz.) Sun,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jan 18, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Yuma Sun, an award-winning 20,000 circulation daily located on the Arizona/California/Mexico border, seeks a sports writer who is ready for the challenge of maintaining the excellent local sports coverage.

The right candidate will be a talented journalist with a demonstrated ability to write and report. We'd like to find someone with two to three years of experience, but are willing to train recent college graduates.

We do more than just write so you will be expected to occasionally design vibrant, reader-friendly pages, write clear and compelling headlines, be a sound editor of copy, and be able to shoot and edit video as we try to expand our online presence. You must be able to help execute a series of online sports initiatives and be able to work collaboratively with the other members of our newsroom.

Our staff covers eight competitive high schools, a recently renovated dirt track that features auto races twice a month, the Yuma Scorpions, a Golden Baseball League team and Arizona Western, one of the premier junior colleges in the Southwest. We also don't shy away from community sports, everything from 8-year-old MMA aces to 88-year-old golfers.

Our region offers immediate access to off-roading, hiking, camping, fishing and hunting. Housing prices are reasonable.

The Yuma Sun is owned by Freedom Communications Inc. We offer an exciting environment in which to continue to grow as a journalist and leader.

We are a drug-free workplace and all applicants considered for employment must pass background check prior to commencing employment. Benefits include health care insurance, vacation and 401k. Pay range is $23,000 to $25,000 per year.

If you are up to the challenge, first go to http://media.yumasun.com/applyjob.php and fill out an application, then send us a letter about what makes you the best candidate. Let the letter reflect your writing style. Send it, your resume, and three to five clips to Human Resources Manager Justin Cook at 2055 S. Arizona Ave., Yuma, AZ 85364 or jcook@yumasun.com.

EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED: 1. Journalism degree desirable, but related experience may substitute. 2. Ability to communicate fully in verbal and written English. Ability to communicate in Spanish not required but is a plus. 3. Ability to handle all tools of the position, including computers and computer programs. 4. Must have own transportation and current proof of insurance and valid Arizona Driver’s License. Must have reliable way to be contacted via telephone when not working.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1072630

Will just say there's been a lot of turnover at this sports section, to say the least.

2. Arizona driver's license, so apparently, out-of-state need not apply. Might be just as well, seeing as how directions are go to the third cactus and turn left. Or right.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You'll only need an Arizona driver's license once you get there. As long as yo have one know and have a reasonably clean driving record, there shouldn't be an issue. I doubt the editor is only looking for a candidate from Arizona.

4. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Sometimes you have to wonder concerning that last sentence.

5. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Three years of experience and $23-25K. <sigh>

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

And it's a wonder why people complain about their jobs on this board.

7. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

Five posts in and no Nick Pappagiorgio joke?

8. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

Wonder what they would pay you if they weren't an award-winning newspaper.

9. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Great post.

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I've moved from California to Arizona to work. If you've got a valid license in one state, it should be no more difficult trading it for an Arizona license than it is exchanging that shirt your Aunt Mildred sent you for Christmas that's too small. If this is really a dealbreaker for some, I don't think you want to really leave your current post.

One thing to know: It gets hot in Yuma in the summer. And to misquote Sarah Palin, you can see Mexico from there.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think some people really want to get a full-time job in the business, much to their protests that they are doing everything they can to get one.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Forgot to mention the seniors lobby must be a great one in Arizona, since the license I was issued didn't have to be renewed until I was 65! And, when I returned to California, I mentioned to the DMV clerk I previously lived here, she called up my name on the computer, noticed my previous license would have expired in a few months anyway, so they had me take the written test. Only missed one question, and got my old number back.

Draft saved Draft deleted