1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter: York (Pa.) Daily Record/Sunday News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pendleton, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Intern??? Other applicants qualified as "ideal" candidates.
    I'm all for getting the next generation into the business, but this listing (and being a 46 D/90 S) did not come across as entry level, especially in this buyers' market.

2. tagline

tagline Member

If they've already made a hire, how come there's been no follow up email from York to "keep you in the loop" regarding the search?

3. green2000

green2000 New Member

I can't speak to the others who applied, but this kid was pretty polished already. Having said that, I'm sure he's coming much cheaper. In this guy's case, they're probably getting a lot for their money.

4. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

I've been privy to hiring practices at a similar-size paper that also paid on a union scale and the SE there, who would have liked to have brought in a more experienced person, wasn't allowed to hire anyone with experience because the parent company wouldn't allow it. Presto! They had a rookie backing up a pro beat.

Not saying that York was necessarily barred from bringing in a veteran, but money must have played a big part in this decision.

5. wonderlic probably is right here. they're still working under terms of the old union deal, even though it expired several years ago. in other words, scale for a vet here would have been higher than the budgeting, probably. it's a combination of factors involved, and drip also brings up some good points in terms of the culture there.

6. Another reason why I'm no fan of unions.

7. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

You do realize that most of the workplace protections we take for granted today were fought for and earned by unions over the years?

If you like your 40-hour week (when you're not working in newspapers, anyway), vacations, sick leave and pension plans, thank labor unions. The corporate hoo-hahs of the world didn't give us these things out of the goodness of their hearts.

Not that unions aren't part of the problem sometimes, mind you.

8. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

This position has officially been filled. Thanks to all those who applied. We appreciate their time and efforts.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Maybe time to lock this one??? Plenty of available jobs to talk about ... Hopefully, some of them might even be interested in experienced sportswriters ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.