1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter: York (Pa.) Daily Record/Sunday News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Pendleton, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esport12

esport12 Member

I got an e-mail basically saying thanks for your stuff, we liked it. There's no timetable for interviews or hiring someone. They said they'd keep me in the loop about the status. Haven't heard anything since.

2. I got something similar.

3. srnitz86

srnitz86 Guest

I got the same email as well. Maybe there just waiting until preps start up to hire somebody?

4. green2000

green2000 New Member

This has to be the same position, but ... We had an intern start last Friday at the Stanley Cup Finals and he will be done this Friday with the Tigers. The reason? A full-time gig in York, Pa.

5. esport12

esport12 Member

well that clarifies things. I'm surprised they brought in someone so young (read: intern) for this one. I'm sure they were drawing experienced candidates.

6. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

An intern? Bloody hell. I know people with years in the business who interviewed for that job.

7. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Young = Will work hard for cheap.

Besides, it sends a good message to the throngs of J-school grads who don't know if they can land jobs in this competitive landscape. That said, it doesn't send the most positive message to the vets trying to hang on 'til retirement. Regardless, good work by the young'n to land the gig. I know a lot of people were interested.

8. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I sent an email asking for specifics on what they wanted in an application package ... got no response. That didn't bode well in my eyes for what kind of response I'd get for an actual application .. so I passed this one by.

Apparently, they decided to go the cheap route. What a shame. You get what you pay for, in this business, too.

9. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

This intern could be awesome.

We shouldn't poo poo a hire due to a person's age.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Knowing a couple of the other applicants, he'd BETTER be.

11. tagline

tagline Member

I agree. I know a couple who applied. Hard to believe they'd pick an intern over them.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

The hiring practices here are quirky at best. This isn't the first time, nor sadly prehaps the last time, that they've gone the cheap route in staffing.
    It definitely sends out mixed messages to people who have experience and would like to come to the York area because they are from there originally.
    I'm glad they made a hire because there are are people who need the job but from a veteran standpoint, its ugly. The vets won't be considered interns, so that that gig is unavailable and paper's that are hiring won't take someone with experience.
    My problem with that is how do you know what a person will take for a job unless you ask them? In many instances, there is a lot more than salary involved when selecting a specific newspaper.
    uggghhhh!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.