1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter with Flint (Michigan) Journal,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Oct 6, 2010.

1. mrudi19

mrudi19 Member

Flint actually doesn't have a minor league hockey anymore. The Generals folded after last season. But they do have junior hockey now. The Michigan Warriors are Tier II Junior A team and play in the North American Hockey League. Flint also has a ABA basketball team in the Flint Fire. No, not the Flint Tropics. Not sure if the basketball team will work. Flint had a team in the CBA and they ended moving after only a season because of low attendance.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It was bigger than Grand Rapids? When, pray tell, was this?

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Flint was over 100,000 at one point. I thought they were very close to GR at one point, maybe 20-30 years ago.

4. mrudi19

mrudi19 Member

There's also a lot of good high school hoops in the area. Charlie Bell, Mateen Cleaves, Morris Peterson, Glen Rice all came from Flint.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Mark Ingram went to Southwestern Academy. Although I believe he also went to Grand Blanc for a year or two.

6. Schottey

Schottey Guest

I know the GR guy was at the last Detroit game I was at in Minneapolis. That was two years ago though, seems like he slowed down writing pro stuff a bit.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Just make sure to live in Grand Blanc, Swartz Creek, Davidson or other towns around "the city", you have a better chance of not getting stabbed or shot.
    Flint does have a U of M campus, but no sports I believe. Mott Community College is a powerhouse in junior college hoops.
    The last "Flint" minor league basketball team was actually in Birch Run (20 mins north) and it was called the "Great Lakes Storm". They didn't pull people in because no one from Saginaw saw it as a Saginaw team and people from Flint didn't see it as a Flint team either.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Speaking of Birch Run, you would be close to Tony's, an iconic diner known for serving tons of food, like a pound of bacon at breakfast or on a BLT.

I actually have eaten at one of the ones in Saginaw more often than Birch Run. The BR run can be a little more pricey since it is right off 75 and the one most people know about.

9. Schottey

Schottey Guest

I went to school less than a mile from one of the Saginaw-Tony's. Only ate there once and did not appreciate the iconic nature of the place--I think I just got fries. One day I'll go back for a reunion and make sure to grab one of their special items.

10. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Not "like" a pound of bacon, an entire POUND of bacon! On the BLTs too.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Yea, that's what I said. I said they served tons of food, the like would signify an example of that tons of food.

Schott, the BR run would probably be more iconic than the Saginaw ones. But it's the name that's more iconic than the buildings.
    If you are from the eastern half of Michigan, you most likely have heard of Tony's.

As far as the Tony's in Saginaw, the only good one would be the one on Center Street.

12. Schottey

Schottey Guest

Center and State right? (My Saginaw street geography is a little rusty.) I'm actually from the western side of the state just lived in Saginaw for school (and a little after it.)

Draft saved Draft deleted