1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter wanted to cover Auburn football

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, May 6, 2013.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

found on journalismjobs.com:

The Ledger-Enquirer, a McClatchy-owned daily newspaper in Columbus, Ga., has an immediate opening for a sports writer to cover Auburn University football.

This is a true beat reporting job covering the SEC football powerhouse at home and on the road. We are looking for a reporter who is not afraid to aggressively cover one of the country's largest football programs.

The position is a combination of blogging at our popular wareagleextra.com blog, producing video and writing for the print edition of the newspaper.

In addition to covering the Auburn football team, this job will include covering SEC football recruiting, specifically Auburn, Alabama and Georgia, and major SEC news.

This reporter will be asked on occasion to help out in other areas such as covering a high school football game on Friday nights and other high school sports during their postseasons.

Columbus is a growing city that’s a 35-minute drive to Auburn, Ala., and a 90-minute drive to downtown Atlanta. It is home to Fort Benning, one of the largest army posts in the U.S., and is a business center with headquarters for major corporations such as Aflac Insurance, Synovus and TSYS (one of the world’s largest credit card processors).

The beat writer will live in Auburn or the surrounding area and is expected to work out of his or her home.

McClatchy is the nation's third-largest newspaper group. It emphasizes high journalistic standards and embraces an array of new strategies for serving online readers. Other McClatchy papers include The Miami Herald, The Sacramento Bee, the (Fort Worth) Star- Telegram, The Kansas City Star, The Charlotte Observer and The (Raleigh) News & Observer.

We offer a competitive pay and benefits package.

It is our intention to quickly fill this job. Please e-mail only two items initially: a one-page cover letter and a one-page resume, to Marcia McAllister, assistant to the executive editor, at auburnposition@gmail.com.

The resume must include employment and educational history and the names and phone numbers of at least three references. If you do not want us to contact them until checking with you, make that clear on your resume.

The content of your letter and resume will be key in determining whether to proceed with your application.

Please do not send work samples until we ask for them. No telephone calls, please.

Link to the newspaper is:
    http://www.ledger-enquirer.com

2. NU2106

NU2106 New Member

Anyone have any extra info about this spot? Covering Auburn football is obviously the grabber here, just curious if there are other noteworthy details.

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

They used to have a bunch of trees, but they died.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about the Columbus paper. But as far as the spot, I don't think that matters much as it looks like you are expected to live near Auburn and work from home.

5. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

You are expected to live in Auburn and work from home. The benefits at the Ledger are top-notch and this job seems like it's been a good stepping-stone for the last couple of guys to come through here (I'm not sure where the outgoing writer is going though). You can get noticed pretty quick. The next hire will make the fourth beat writer in the 2 1/2 years I've lived in Columbus. Preps are pretty decent here and Auburn is a nice place to live.

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Very good job right here. Would apply if the timing was a bit better.

7. JosephC.Myers

JosephC.Myers Active Member

This one is sort of up my alley since I freelance for The Ledger-Enquirer and Kevin (Price, the editor) an awful lot. Not sure where Aaron is headed, but as others have said, it's been a good springboard-type position, so hopefully it's on to bigger and better things.
    I do think Aaron lives in Auburn and works from home. He does also occasionally pitch in on preps when things get hectic (he's covered a playoff baseball series or two the past few weeks and did a little football last year as well), but as for more specifics than that, you'd need to talk to Kevin or someone a little closer to the situation.
    As for Kevin as a boss, I have to give him high grades. Always keeps me in the loop on things, stays on the lookout for assignments to send my way - even without me asking - and always makes sure I'm taken care of pay-wise. He's always treated me well in the almost two-years I've freelanced for him and I give him a strong recommendation.
    Hope this helps anybody who might be looking at the job.

8. JCT89

JCT89 Active Member

Good stuff. You mentioned it as a possible stepping stone type job. What kind of background/experience level do you think Kevin is looking for here?

9. Nathan_C_Deen

Nathan_C_Deen New Member

Last two guys had previous experience covering college sports, so if you're covering a smaller college beat already, you probably have a fair chance.

10. JPsT

JPsT Member

Does anyone know whether you live in Auburn and work from home?

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Did you read the first post?

The beat writer will live in Auburn or the surrounding area and is expected to work out of his or her home.

12. A few more questions....

About how far is Columbus from Auburn? And if I wanted to get to Atlanta, how long would that take?

Could you name some other major employers in the area in case my spouse wanted to seek employment there?

Finally, who owns the Ledger-Enquirer and what are some other newspapers in the same chain? Thanks in advance.

Draft saved Draft deleted