1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, The Signal (Santa Clarita, CA)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Claws for Concern, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

SPORTS WRITER: The Signal newspaper in Santa Clarita, Calif., has an immediate opening for a sports journalist who can do it all. The Signal's sports department covers a wide range of high school and college sports. The successful applicant will be a competent writer who can work on deadline, write catchy headlines, produce clean copy, express creativity and present original ideas. Knowledge of layout and design is preferred. Send resumes and work samples to Cary Osborne. Mail: P.O. Box 801870, Santa Clarita, CA 91380-1870; Fax: 661-255-9689. E-mail: sportstalk@the-signal.com. Posted on 11/03/06

This paper is located in Southern California. Magic Mountain is here as well as good high school football, JC (College of the Canyons), The Master's College and it is close to Los Angeles.

2. Floyd

Floyd Member

Just curious, what colleges does this paper cover?

Also, any idea about circ size, etc?

3. Claws for Concern

It's a small paper, likely in the 10,000 range. I should have put that with my other comments. This is likely an entry-level position. I don't work there, I just know about the paper. Of course, if someone asks former Dodgers outfielder Shawn Green about The Signal, he might have something to say about the SIZE of the paper.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

http://freerepublic.com/focus/news/736222/posts

5. Pops

Pops Member

What. The fuck. Was that.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I may be biased as a California native, but Magic Mountain is the best amusement park in the country and was also where they filmed the first National Lampoon's Vacation...

7. sheos

sheos Member

Wally World! awesome

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Stay away from this place. You're 40 miles from the Daily News, 60 miles from the LA Times and no one will notice you unless you write a story about Shawn Green's weiner.

9. ogre

ogre Member

Lived in Santa Clarita for three years, but didnt work for the Signal. Not too bad of a place to live as far as suburbs go. Gets crazy hot in the summer, many 95 plus days, but it is great at night. Edge of the desert, mountain ranges, beautiful sunsets. Not much in the way of entertainment beyond MM. But you can get to downtown, hollywood or the beaches in 35-45 minutes when it is not rush hour.

And yes I work for the SC chamber of commerce.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

Magic Mountain attracts a questionable element and is doing so well that it is on the market to become a housing development. Traffic is bad in rush hour, and it's true that your stuff at the Signal would not be read by anyone more than five miles from Revolution.

11. Claws for Concern

Does this mean Marty Moose likes the Signal newspaper?

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Good question. That was one of the most bizarre things I have ever read.

Draft saved Draft deleted