1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, The Brownsville Herald (Texas)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Baker, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Baker

Baker New Member

The Brownsville Herald — a 18,000 daily, 25,000 Sunday in Texas’ Rio Grande Valley — is looking for a hard-charging sportswriter.

The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, competent reporter who is well-organized, loves the job and hates even more getting beaten by the competition. This position will include beat and high school coverage, general assignments and desk work.

The Brownsville-Los Fresnos area loves its sports, mainly of the high school, boxing and soccer varieties. It also is home to The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College, an NAIA institution.

High school sports are covered extensively, and the paper is also involved in RGVSports.com The Magazine, a full-color, glossy 64-page quarterly high school sports publication written and designed by Valley Freedom Newspapers’ combined sports department. The Herald sports staff is part of the VFN sports department, which includes three dailies (The Monitor, Valley Morning Star) with a combined circulation of 90,000 daily and 110,000 Sunday, and RGVSports.com, our high school sports Web site.

If you have what it takes, The Herald offers a competitive salary and benefits, including health, dental and vision insurance, a 401K and a profit sharing program. Fluency in Spanish is a big plus, along with experience with page design.

If you are interested in joining our team, please send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Bryan Read, East Valley Sports Editor, at: The Brownsville Herald, 1135 E. Van Buren, Brownsville, TX 78520. You can also e-mail your resume and clips to Read at bread@brownsvilleherald.com or to Wade Baker, VFN Executive Sports Editor, at wbaker@themonitor.com. For more information, contact Read at (956) 982-6621 or Baker at (956) 683-4450.

The Herald is an Equal Opportunity employer. Non-U.S. citizens wishing to apply for this position must already be in possession of a valid work visa and other appropriate documentation.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Excellent training ground for any youngster looking for experience.

3. I worked with Bryan several years ago. He's one of the kindest people I've met in this business.

4. esport12

esport12 Member

very solid place to start and get your feet wet. Good people, lots of chances to do a lot of stuff.

5. Wait, that school is really called "Texas Southmost College"? Wow.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

It's all one school.

The University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College is one university.

Why they had to add the latter part, I have no idea.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I worked there in the late 1990s. Brownsville markets itself as being the southernmost city in the continental U.S., and I think the school is located on the south side of town near the Southmost neighborhood.

The college was there first, so when the UT system came in, they decided to keep the name, if I recall correctly. Do they still just have baseball and women's volleyball? Baseball team had to rebuild its stadium in 1998 after razing it for parking in the early 1990s. They played their games at Rivera High School for awhile.

Draft saved Draft deleted