1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, The Bellingham Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by David Rasbach, Nov 8, 2007.

1. David Rasbach

David Rasbach New Member

The Bellingham Herald, a 25,000 circulation daily newspaper in Northwest Washington, is seeking a talented, aggressive sportswriter to join its award-winning Sports staff. Applicants should have at least 1-2 years of experience at a daily newspaper, be well versed in enterprise writing and show an ability to use alternative story forms for features, game stories and projects. Successful candidates also must possess knowledge of how to use online and multimedia tools and a willingness to learn new skills at a forward-thinking publication. The team-oriented Sports staff focuses its coverage on 11 area high schools, Division II Western Washington University and a number of other community events in a county known for offering many outdoor sports opportunities and an active lifestyle.

To apply, please e-mail a cover letter, resume and writing samples to Sports Editor David Rasbach at david.rasbach@bellinghamherald.com.

2. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Rasbach's good people.

3. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

I had a phone interview for a spot here a few years back, but that was before Rasbach took over. Bob Carter was the SE at the time, but he retired shortly thereafter. Seemed like it would've been a good place to work, and I was a little bummed I didn't get to move out west.

Used to be Gannett, but it's now McClatchy via Knight Ridder, which is obviously good news.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

I may or may not be able to answer questions via PM. (depends on the question)

5. baskethead

baskethead Member

I can answer questions about Bellingham and most questions about the paper/job.

6. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

Who left? Or is this a new position?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Lead preps guy is leaving/left.

8. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Has this ever been filled? Has anyone ever been interviewed?

9. Mr. Homer

Mr. Homer Member

If you want some weed, this is your town.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Craig Parrish, most recently the editor of the weekly entertainment guide, moved back to his former position as sports writer. He's been in Bellingham for a long time so he knows his shit. Good move for him and for the paper.

11. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Why do people even waste our time by posting openings when they know it will be filled internally? Damn you purveyors of false hope.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Hey, Carl, there's always a job for you in Roswell.

Draft saved Draft deleted