1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, Roswell Daily Record

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

deBremond Stadium. Cool little stadium. Good soccer games there.

What about the typist at the RDR, the one who was dumber than a bucket of chicken but was flat-out candy on the eyes? Was she there when you were?

2. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Excellent summary as usual, Xan. However, you left out the vaunted Cattle Baron restaurant and somehow omitted playing the very underrated Inn of the Mountain Gods golf course in Ruidoso. Plus, is Goddard still a soccer power like they were in the early 90s? Their games with Clovis were fun to cover.

And word to the wise of those thinking about applying... Carl Spackler is NOT the groundskeeper at the Roswell Country Club.

3. Songbird

I always always forget that goddamn Cattle Baron! You're right, Birdscribe, it's a quality restaurant and bar. I missed playing at the Mountain Gods. But, on the way to Las Cruces one day, about a mile away from the course, I tried to fart and ended up shitting my britches. Had to waddle, more like walk as if I had rickets, into the gas station bathroom. Left my dirty draws in the bathroom.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I didn't stick around long enough to know anyone who wasn't in editorial or production. Both of the female reporters at the time were pleasant to behold, although nothing to make one go home and wank like a zoo monkey. Mostly I just looked at my SE and marvelled at how he could be so cheerful despite not having any idea what he was doing. RIP Fred. :( Not a great sportswriter, but a good guy who was very nice to me.

Xan, that's a really weird story about The Fart That Went Wrong. Were you eating chips made with Olestratm?

5. Songbird

I'd never done that before. I thought it was just a little pooter, but I tried to push it hard and BLAM! wet soupy crap filled my britches. A good lot of cuties worked the newsroom, either news or advertising when I was there. Also worked with a guy who made the scantly budgeted movie "Robot Hunter" and entered it in a film festival somewhere in Texas. The newsroom then was wacked, but fantastic.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Cleanup on Roswell Thread! Stat!!!

(Boy, has this thread skidded off track)

7. writing irish

Roswell: good times, shitty times.

The editorial crew during my tenure was pretty low on personality, at least at work. Poertner of course is a great guy. The two news reporters were fairly new and quiet...the guy with the state beat reminded me of Clark Kent...tall, broad-shouldered fellow but dweeby. The copy ed troubled me...like he would show up one night with a gun and make like it was a Luby's cafateria or something. :eek:

8. I'm tired of dealing with Klingon Little league parents.
    I'm outta there.

9. Songbird

Irish, what about the cops-beat guy?

10. writing irish

There was a subtle aura of alienation to the place.

The Klingon youth sports parents were very tempermental, but the Romulans were worse...they were technical-minded with their harassment and would attack our email server with spam robots.

Xan: The cops beat guy when I was there was Mark Cave...a real fucking asshole. He took his "I'm a douche and proud" act back to Maryland or somewhere shortly after I arrived. The cops beat position was vacant during my stay.

11. Songbird

Any former ex-RDR'ers here ever hear the legend of Jose Bravo?

12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Death, taxes, and jobs open in Farmington and Roswell, N.M.

Draft saved Draft deleted