1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter, Roswell Daily Record

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrooperBari, Feb 1, 2007.

1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com's favorite (non-Hungry Horse) job listing makes its triumphant return:

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=325856

Description:
    The Roswell (N.M.) Daily Record, an award-winning, independent daily newspaper in southeastern New Mexico with a circulation of about 12,000, is seeking a reporter to cover sporting events in the area. Candidates for the sports position should possess strong writing skills, be familiar with sports terminology, be computer literate and able to meet deadlines. Experience in covering high school sports is a big plus. We’re looking for an aggressive reporter who can provide play-by-play information, place games in the larger context and break down the statistics. Experience with photography and page layout is preferred. Applicants will need to know Quark thoroughly or have some knowledge of it and demonstrate that they can quickly master the program. The position offers a competitive salary, medical benefits, a gasoline allowance and compensation for travel outside the immediate area. Interested applicants should contact Andrew Poertner, editor, Roswell Daily Record, at andrewpoertner@yahoo.com, fax at (505) 625-0421 or send mail to Andrew Poertner, Roswell Daily Record, P.O. Box 1897, Roswell, NM 88202. Due to the volume of applicants, it is preferred that initial contact be a letter of interest, resume and clips sent by email.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'm sorry, I had to laugh at that.

3. WSKY

WSKY Member

I second that ...

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Hey, I post 'em as I find 'em.

If they expect scads of journalists banging down their doors, salivating at the chance to work for $9/hour, who am I to break them of their thrall?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Roswell, sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet Roswell ...

If I may, a guide to places the newbie might enjoy (I've left some stuff out for you to find at your own accord):

FOOD
    • Popo's on East McGaffey. Best authentic Mexican food in New Mexico. May I suggest the beef enchiladas
    • Capitol Cafe on west 4th Street. A very close second to Popo's.
    • Nuthin' Fancy. Free rolls and tasty homemade cornbread. About 150 paces from the RDR office.
    • Kwan Den. Ambience every bit as good as the large buffet.
    • Denny's, 2 of them less than a mile apart. Methed-out waitresses love to flirt.
    • CiCi's Pizza. Where new lovers go to enjoy each other's company until their love turns sour.
    • Alsup's gas stations. Their deep-fried burritos and chimichangas will kill ya, but goddamn, are they tasty.

BARS
    • Variety Lounge on West 2nd Street. Seediest local bar in town. Worth every minute and mysogenist insult.
    • Bud's, just up the street from the RDR. A cowboy dive. If you dance on the dance floor, beware beer bottles filled with urine.
    • Sally Port, just across the street from the RDR. Good place for Monday Night Football, karaoke, billiards.
    • Pepper's, down the street from the RDR. Great happy hour.
    • Boot Scooters. Wanna beer and a brawl, tis your place.
    • Little Valley Bar & Grill, Dexter, about 12 miles away. After Variety and Bud's, this place deep inna heart of the Pecos Valley expanse is the divebar to be. Good soup, too.
    • Billy Ray's, just a few minutes drive from the RDR. Local, homey feeling.

DAY OR NIGHT ACTIVITIES
    • Bitter Lakes National Wildlife Refuge.
    • UFO Museum.
    • Bottomless Lakes. Great for swimming, and climbing to remote locations for animalistic sexual conquests.
    • Abandoned missile silo, about 13 miles outside town. Nucleur warheads removed, but there are secret entrances for those who enjoy a good drunken adventure climbing down 14 stories into the Earth. Be careful, though, because one slip and you're a goner, and this ad for a sportswriter will appear again
    • Ruidoso Downs, home of the Million Dollar Futurity. Good horse racin' and drinkin'. Lots of sexy ski bunnies in the winter with their billionaire boys from West Texas.
    • Lake Arthur, about 25 miles south, for a 6-man football game.
    • Encino, about 90 miles north. Pull off on 3rd street and scavenge shacks and adobes that ain't been lived in for decades but still hold unique relics.
    • Carlsbad Caverns, about an hour south. Spelunk your way to thrills galore.
    • Roswell Zoo. It's not that bad, actually.

DROGAS
    • "Chiahuita." Enter at your own risk, but make nice con los bangaderos and you're set for as long as you have money to burn.

GAMES TO SEE
    • Goddard-Artesia football, preferably at the Bulldog Bowl in Artesia.
    • Goddard-Roswell anything, preferably girls volleyball
    • Lovington at NMMI boys basketball at Cahoon Armory, especially when they make every cadet fill the stands.
    • Dexter at Hagerman football.
    • Lake Arthur v. Gateway Christian, Lake Arthur v. Valley Christian 6-man football.

As far as the newsroom goes, it is filled with good, hard-working folks. Just beware some of the keyboards ...

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Problem with working in Roswell is that you'll be subjected to more unwelcome anal probes than boots' neighbor.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Tell the guy to turn down his speakers.

8. Songbird

Boots ought to take his neighbor Roswell to really get his anal probe on.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Wouldn't that, like, cause the universe to explode?

10. Songbird

Well, at least his thread would die once and for all.

Every time a Roswell thread pops up, I spend the rest of the day thinking about life back then.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Nuthin' Fancy has closed, brother Songbird. A shame for those who love their cornbread.

Dear old Roswell. Just the other day I was thinking about this mamita who was an assistant hoops coach for the RHS Ghetto 'Yotes. She had the most amazing ass. (sigh)

Sometimes I actually miss the place. I enjoyed bicycling there...it's fun being a cyclist in a town where hardly anyone bicycles...I had the trails to myself almost all the time. And the freaky Evangelical Christian coffeehouse downtown was my home away from home.

12. Songbird

How dare they close Nuthin' Fancy! Perhaps it has something to do with Pres. Bush eating there one day on the campaign trail in '04. Too bad. That cornbread was damn good. Good soup, too.

The ex-girlfriend and I would bike all around Roswell. Cool sidestreets and most of the sidewalks are so fucked up and cracked that you can jump lots of them. Used to go to that coffeehouse, too, and play chinese checkers or other knick-knack games with the girl. Still remember when she drove into the parking lot on her first day and a bunch of us newsroomies were throwing the Nerf football around. Instant crush on her. Tall, skinny and sexy. Just my type.

Draft saved Draft deleted