1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter/Paginator, Goldsboro (N.C.) News-Argus

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Oct 16, 2007.

1. I'll side with Doc here. IMO, you're short-changing your readers in the long run with hyper-local coverage. I can name plenty of small papers who get it (by not succumbing only to the whims of a crazed parents who want to read about their kids) and have an expanded product that doesn't force the reader to go elsewhere for news. Sure, you can do it on the cheap with AP but for a paper doesn't do Sundays (as is the custom at your shop), why would you force your readers to digest a bland AP story instead of a staff writer who could extrapolate a game that's already two days old.

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

This can't last too much longer.

3. Smartwriter

Smartwriter Member

I can vouch for Tarheel. His paper is in a metropolitan area where three metros and two other dailies circulate. In that situation, I would say a paper would need to give readers something they can not get anywhere else.
    And no, I think this thread will not last much longer.

4. Stupid

Stupid Member

Aw heck, let's keep it going until the News-Argus hires someone!

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I say again. If research shows that the majority of readers want hyper local (I'm talking preps and not junior's U-14 soccer tournament) over ACC, East Carolina, etc. -- then, by all means, give it to them. The next town over might not feel that way.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Expendable, you're right. Cristiano, I respect your opinion, and appreciate you doing so in a classy manner quite unlike a certain someone else.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Gee, who would that be, you smarmy prick?

For the record, these were my first three posts on the subject:

I obviously agreed to disagree with Stupid. You're the asshole who went over the top with this post:

Although, I guess I did use the word "crap" in there. ::)

So, I say this as someone who would have no trouble saying it to your face (and with no disrespect intended to others who work at smaller dailies and weeklies): Enjoy life at your tiny paper in BFE.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Doc, enjoy your life being a jerk. And I would have no trouble saying that to your face either.

9. At the risk of putting words in anyone's mouth, I'll vouchsafe that the "do more local" mantra is often an excuse by the suits to cut costs, because it's cheaper not to travel. The thing is, you were already doing that local stuff, or you'd be out of business.

As for focus groups, there is often a disconnect. People say they want more local coverage, because that is a trendy answer. What they mean is they want their team covered and couldn't care less about any other city/county rival. And the boredom level is reached pretty quickly when you ignore major college or pro sports in your extended backyard. You're telling your readers to find another source. Sometimes -- oftentimes -- they can decide you're expendable.

Like a lot of what we do, there's a balancing act to be performed. That's what makes good editors and good sections.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Hey, I resemble that remark! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted