1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter/Paginator, Goldsboro (N.C.) News-Argus

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Don't know that much about the area but the opportunity is there for good clips given their coverage area.

Do you like challenges? Can you think outside the box, even on deadline? If so, the award-winning Goldsboro News-Argus is looking for you. We have an opening for a sportswriter/paginator who is experienced in Quark Express and News-Edit Pro. The News-Argus is a six-day, 22,000-circulation paper serving Wayne County and surrounding communities, including Seymour Johnson Air Force Base. Our coverage area includes 11 high schools, three private schools, Division II Mount Olive College and East Carolina University. Goldsboro is located within an hour driving distance of Raleigh, Greenville and the beaches. Salary is commensurate with experience. Please send a letter of application, resume and clips/layouts to Sports Editor Rudy Coggins at rcoggins@newsargus.com.

2. Kool-Aid

Kool-Aid Member

Gabe's not moving on, is he?

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Anyone know what the pay scale is?

"Salary is commensurate with experience" can means a lot of things. Think three years as sports editor of 10,000 daily might bump me up some?

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

That's what I'm wondering too. When I left the area in July, they were looking for someone too. Is the new guy moving on already or is Gabe?

As for the town, Goldsboro is not that bad a place. I lived about 30 minutes away in Wilson, and had to go over there a lot for games, but maybe someone else may have a more intimate understanding of the town and the Argus.
    Rudy is an ok guy, but he is a big rooter... He will openly cheer in the dugouts and on the sidelines for the team he is covering, just so you know.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

PM me for more details.

(And no, I'm not the one leaving ... )

6. Pi

Pi Member

An hour to Raleigh my ass. In a Ferrari maybe.

7. Sam Mills 51

Actually, that's still correct ... though the traffic in Clayton during rush hour has become a headache.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've done it before in a Honda Civic.

9. danhawks

danhawks Member

just be sure to drive under 55 or else you'll get a ticket! :mad:

10. NC_Sports_Dude

NC_Sports_Dude New Member

Gabe is at the Shelby Star and has been there for a few months now.

11. Sam Mills 51

Ah, you've been in the ol' Clayton speed trap, eh?

They tried that with me once ... was going a whole 47 in the 45 zone through town. They claimed they saw me swerve twice since I was driving back from the Triangle at 1 a.m.

The idiot who pulled me didn't hide his snark when he asked me if I had been drinking. When I answered "Yes. ... ... Sprite," then slowly, slowly produced the bottle, the jerk had little choice but to let me go.

12. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

Hell, you cant even get up to 55 in clayton anymore thanks to 23,152 stoplights. That 70 Bypass will be welcomed by many.

Draft saved Draft deleted