1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter opening: Independence, Mo.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I would guess circulation is around 15,000.

2. brettwatson

brettwatson Active Member

Solid shop. I worked there a long time ago at the start of my career and 30 years later still recall lessons learned that helped me navigate the tricky daily print world.

3. beardown

beardown Member

Karl's a great guy and there's no better place in Missouri to cover preps than at the Examiner. The area annually produces a solid number of Division I athletes and several have become pros.

The paper does cover the Chiefs and Royals, or at least did when I was in that neighborhood a few years ago. But don't have illusions that you'll get the job there and become the Royals beat writer. It's strictly supplemental coverage, from what I can remember. It's a heavy local paper with a focus on eastern Jackson County.

4. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Anyone have any idea of the pay? Cost of living?

My preference would be a little farther out of metro, say Excelsior Springs or Williamsburg, but hell, you can't always get what you want.

5. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If you're flexible, you'll certainly be able to find something in your price range for living.
    My wife and I had a 2BR, 2BA on the South side of KC last summer for $650 a month. We went with that because of location, but the closer to Independence or Blue Springs we were willing to go, the cheaper it got. The really pricey areas of KC are pretty much reserved for the Plaza and JoCo on the Kansas side.

6. KUjhawk02

KUjhawk02 Member

Agreed with MU, if you stay away from the Plaza then cost of living should be very reasonable. And you're about a 20- or 30-minute drive, maybe a little longer, from anywhere around the KC metro area that you're looking to go.
    The guys at The Examiner do a heck of a good job with prep sports. They're well respected around the KC area for their coverage of high schools, especially football.

7. Yeah, you definitely want to avoid the wealthy Kansas suburbs if you're trying to make a living here. Luckily, that's not the best location for this job.

8. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

I wonder how they'll cover the CHL team.

9. Slash

Slash Member

Nobody asked why the opening. Found out the last guy had a disagreement with an AD and was let go. Sounds fishy to me. I wouldnt want to work somewhere they dont back their employees.

10. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

ooo controversy

11. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

What kind of disagreement? Did he just not like how he was being treated and say something, or did he punch the guy in the face?
    Did he kick and scream and throw a big fit for being seated in the rafters, or did the school try to cover up something and the reporter called him on it?
    Did he bang the AD's wife, or did the AD want to bang the reporter's girlfriend?

12. Slash

Slash Member

Not sure on the scenario. From what ive heard, no fight or affair or anything like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted